[SOLVED] RAM Compatability

Eren_1

Commendable
May 5, 2016
Hi, I am currently updating my PC. I am upgrading from a MSI H110M Gaming, I3-6100, and 1x8GB DDR4-2133 to MSI B360 Gaming Plus, I7-8700, and 2x8GB DDR4-2666. Would I be able to install my old ram stick along with the new 2x8s? I would use dual channel for the new set and just use one of the remaining two for the older one. Any help is appreciated!

Solution
So firstly, we would never recommend mixing RAM modules. Manufacturers do not support mixed RAM modules as they have all potential to not work together. It doesn't mean they never work, just it's not recommended at all.

Additionally, if you ran this in that channel, both of your RAM will operate at the lowest speed. So if you mixed a 2667 module with a 2133 one, BOTH will only operate at 2133. This logic will apply to ALL of your RAM timings. So you'd be technically downgrading your current RAM module speed, for an increased amount of RAM.

But again, there's no guarantee they will work together.

If you're getting new 2x8GB modules, I wouldn't bother with the additional slower 8GB as it will just bring all of your RAM down to slower...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
So firstly, we would never recommend mixing RAM modules. Manufacturers do not support mixed RAM modules as they have all potential to not work together. It doesn't mean they never work, just it's not recommended at all.

Additionally, if you ran this in that channel, both of your RAM will operate at the lowest speed. So if you mixed a 2667 module with a 2133 one, BOTH will only operate at 2133. This logic will apply to ALL of your RAM timings. So you'd be technically downgrading your current RAM module speed, for an increased amount of RAM.

If you're getting new 2x8GB modules, I wouldn't bother with the additional slower 8GB as it will just bring all of your RAM down to slower speeds/ timings.

Solution

Eren_1

Commendable
May 5, 2016

If you're getting new 2x8GB modules, I wouldn't bother with the additional slower 8GB as it will just bring all of your RAM down to slower speeds/ timings.
Understood. I figured as much, I just wanted to get a second opinion. Thanks for your lightning fast reply!