Question RAM Compatability

sobakowa19

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
So I am doing a build with a Ryzen 5 2600, an rtx 2080 (a buddy sold it to me for 400 bucks i was going to go Vega 64), asus b450-f moboard.... was curious to know if GP-AR32C16S8K2HU416RD RAM would work in that board? its not on the QVL but at 164 bucks, 16GB of 3200 ram and 2 demo rgb sticks is a good deal at 160 bucks. Does anyone know if that would work? It says it will but before I order I would like to know for sure.

I would avoid Gigabyte memory and stick to the main players, G.Skill and Corsair on Ryzen. Certainly there are many brands and models, especially factoring in the last years worth of BIOS update improvements on Ryzen, but there are STILL some compatibility issues with Ryzen on many modules especially those with lower quality ICs.

These would be a good choice, are Samsung B-die modules which Ryzen tends to favor and are less expensive than what you are looking at anyhow. Very good modules here.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($155.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $155.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-20 18:39 EDT-0400

But even these would work fine, they just don't have the Samsung B-die memory chips or the low CAS14 latency of the ones above but are still very good sticks.

Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($105.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $105.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-20 18:40 EDT-0400

sobakowa19

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Or, if you are WANTING memory with RGB, these would be a good choice as well.

Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $124.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-20 18:41 EDT-0400
Thanks for the feedback.... ironically my brother is ordering it for me ha so i dont care anymore, its his money wasted if it doesnt work but oh well, thanks again

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Those Gigabyte sticks have the same timings as the G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200 (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR) sticks I'm using on my ROG Strix B450-F Gaming MB.

So hopefully they are similar enough to work at 3200MHz with the DOCP profile selected in the BIOS.
If they don't work at the rated speeds you could always return them and get the G.Skill TridentZ RGBs.

FWIW,
I would recommend that you flash the 1201 BIOS on the ROG Strix B450-F.
There are 2 newer BIOS versions BUT they are not as stable as the 1201 BIOS.

They definitely aren't using the same ICs, so it's doubtful they have the same secondary and tertiary timings. Primary timing are not usually where trouble happens with incompatibility, although it certainly CAN be.

I don't like the idea of using a memory module made by a company who produces them as an afterthought. I'd prefer to use a product made by a company whose primary focus is on the quality and performance of their memory and has a track record of excellence in both areas. Gigabyte, isn't that company. They make satisfactory entry level motherboards and excellent high end boards, usually, but they are a relative newcomer to the production of memory modules and even though they are mostly using high quality ICs and silicon, I just don't see them being on the same level as G.Skill, Corsair, Mushkin, Kingston and a few others quite yet. Even so, chances are good they will work fine. I'm just finicky that way when it comes to memory.

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
^ Honestly I agree 100%.
I would not have chosen those Gigabyte sticks either, but since he's getting them for free from his brother I was trying add some positive/hopeful feedback for him. ;)

PS
DarkBreeze, do you know if Gigabyte actually manufactures their own RAM or are they just rebranding someone else's RAM ?

Like most memory "brands", they outsource all of the components and then "assemble" their own modules just like Corsair, G.Skill, Kingston and most others.

There are very few memory brands that actually manufacture the memory chips and other components. Micron/Crucial is one. Samsung is another. Hynix also. Mushkin used to, but I'm not sure if they are still manufacturing their own memory chips anymore or not.

Most memory brands you see on the market buy their ICs (Memory chips), silicon and other components from actual manufacturers and then assemble them according to their own specifications and preferences. There are of course some "brands" that are simply rebranded sticks either made or assembled by another manufacturer but it's not particularly common because it's terribly difficult to buy what somebody else is also selling, then mark it up and be able to sell them when whoever you are getting them from is likely selling theirs for less since they don't need your markup to make money off them. I know AMD tried doing that for a short while, and that didn't last long.

Usually when you see this, it's on memory that is really cheap, some super low quality Chinese sticks come to mind, and then heatsinks or fancy labels are slapped on by whoever is doing it in an effort to justify a markup. Lame.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Gotcha.
I do realize most RAM companies outsource the actual ic's from Samsung, Micron, Hynix, etc.
I was just curious if Gigabyte was just selling re-branded pre-assembled sticks with their labeling/heat spreader on them.
But you're right that would probably be way too costly to allow for competitive pricing.

Exactly. Plus, it's not like they don't have extensive experience with manufacturing complex electronics. They've been doing motherboards for a very long time and graphics cards for quite a while. I have no qualms about using any Gigabyte product, it's just that when it comes to memory they are fairly new in that area compared to others and I KNOW that Corsair and G.Skill are exemplary when it comes to supporting their products. Gigabyte can be, ....fickle.