Question RAM Compatability?

Mar 11, 2021
I just ordered all my new PC hardware with the exception of the RAM I want. I currently have (2x4Gb) Mushkin Enhanced Stealth 240-Pin DDr3-1600 (PC3 12800) MODEL #996995S
Timing is 9-9-9-24 . The problem is the entire planet is out of stock for my specific type of RAM, apparently I have the last ones that will ever exist or something. My question is: Can I pair these up with slightly different RAM? For instance the PC3L version of Mushkin 9-9-9-24 or will they need to basically be the same Model?

On a side note: WHY does Mushkin name so many of their RAM modules "Mushkin Enhanced Stealth - blah- whatever?" with the exact heatspreaders, even? I mean, could it be easier to mix them up? Nope.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
I am assuming that you are upgrading your RAM on an old system. new systems will use DDR4.
please list all your specs for clarity

in the order asked
in theory. IRL has more variables. DDR3 is a well understood and well OLD tech. most of the memory issues should have been addressed by now but the only real answer will come from trying them together. Verify that the PC3l can run at 1.5V. DDR3L or PCL3 the L means low voltage PC3L runs at 1.35V PC3 runs at 1.5. Some makers for the sake of ease of use have made DDR3L Ram that can work fine on both voltages. if that new RAM CAN RUN AT 1.5 the biggest issue you had should be gone, now its just testing.

Mushkin is being cheap. instead of having a unique design and naming scheme, its easier to build under one model and this allows them flexibility in the manufacturing. Mushkin decides on the specs the RAM they sell will USE and they adhere to that, changing chips, from another maker is fine as long as it fits their specs. the heatspreader is a cheap way to hide the fact that they do this.

the easiest way I have found to differentiate identical hardware is finger nail varnish. I keep black just for covering LEDs that annoy me. a drop on the first stick, two drops on the next, three... a drop of nail polish on the heat spreader is easy to see and easy to remove with no damage and will stay until you remove it unlike stickers.

Last edited: