ram compatibility check

lowlaptopgamer

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017
I planning a new build. Because ram price is increasing, i chose KLEVV BOLT DDR4 1x8gb 2400hz. My motherboard is msi b250m pro-vh. I read the ram site and found out that the ram is not compatible. Do I really need to change my ram?

Sorry Im new to pc building.

Solution
Yes. Never actually had a case where new RAM wouldn't work at all, it's just a theoretical possibility - very unlikely from my experience.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Where did you read that it's not compatible?

B250 chipsets support 2400MHz, and DDR4 is 288pin standard, so should certainly be compatible.

Just because it doesn't appear on a MB vendors site on the QVL, doesn't mean it's not "compatible", it just hasn't been tested/verified.

FWIW, you'd likely benefit from 2x4GB operating in dual channel, opposed to 1x8GB

lowlaptopgamer

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017

I read it here http://www.klevv.com/eng/klevv/product_view.html?CatNo=1&GoIdx=22
On the specs tab and click on the 2400

Oh sorry didnt know that. I thought companies tested all of the available motherboard.

I'd rather save for another 8gb.

Im sorry for denying your advices.

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
On the QVL on the MB vendors' site you'll find RAM that has benn tested with you particular mainboard and is therefore guaranteed to work without issues.

Using RAM that's not listed there just means you're responsible if compatibility problems were to arise. As already stated by Barty, since there's a JEDEC standard for DDR4, the RAM should work anyway. High-speed RAM may be reduced to -2400 oder -2133 MHz speeds though.

lowlaptopgamer

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017

So its most likely to work, right?