[SOLVED] RAM compatibility confusion on Maximus XI Hero

Dec 5, 2020
Hi all

I'm wondering if anyone knows the difference in functionality between this Memory Kit 01 and this Memory Kit 02 ?

They both have exact same specs and only one character difference in the serials.

CMK64GX4M4B3000C15
CMK64GX4M4C3000C15

I also know that the first kit is V4.31 and the second kit is V4.32

The reason I'm asking what the actual functional difference is, is because V4.32 (which I have already purchased) is NOT listed on the Qualified Vendors List (QVL) of compatible RAM with the ASUS MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI) motherboard. But V4.31 is.

Could there be a reason why V4.32 (CMK64GX4M4C3000C15) is not listed?
What's the worse that could happen if I install this in a completely new build and it's incompatible?

My feeling is that it should still be fine to use but wanted to get a second opinion from you guys? Especially as I'm now seeing that the common advice is to make sure I pick a model from the motherboard QVL.

I'm a first time builder, so apologies if this is a silly query - very thankful for any help 😊

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I think it's just a revision change. Outside of that the sticks/kit look identical in every way, even down to their CL timings and voltage.

I've said this before on other threads. The purpose of the QV: is to signify that the ram(or kit) was used in testing while the board was in the factory. If they were to test every ram kit out there then the motherboard wouldn't have seen the light of day with release. So long as you're looking at a DDR4 ram kit, that is supported frequency wise on your board, you're good to go.

It's also advised to update your BIOS prior to dropping higher frequency rams in the system. Use one stick of that kit to get POST and then update BIOS(if BIOS u[date is pending).

Lutfij

Titan

I think it's just a revision change. Outside of that the sticks/kit look identical in every way, even down to their CL timings and voltage.

I've said this before on other threads. The purpose of the QV: is to signify that the ram(or kit) was used in testing while the board was in the factory. If they were to test every ram kit out there then the motherboard wouldn't have seen the light of day with release. So long as you're looking at a DDR4 ram kit, that is supported frequency wise on your board, you're good to go.

It's also advised to update your BIOS prior to dropping higher frequency rams in the system. Use one stick of that kit to get POST and then update BIOS(if BIOS u[date is pending).

Solution
Dec 5, 2020

Thanks for the quick reply, that's super helpful to know!

Is it fine to update the BIOS even if all the sticks are in?