[SOLVED] RAM compatibility for some specific (old) RAM

Jan 29, 2019
Hello, this is my first post :)

If I'm somehow violating any rules or guidelines please feel free to point it out to me! If I posted this one in the wrong category, please push me to where I belong ':D

I'm currently troubleshooting a PC (what a surprise) and I am familiar with PC hardware, installing components, you get the point.

My question after this long introduction now is, if anyone knows an universal tool or even a specific one for RAM compatibility as I noticed there was lack of in my Google searches.

I would appreciate a slight point in the right direction and take it from there myself.

For further investigation, should there not be anything like what I described I'm attaching a picture and summary of what I figured:

I was rebuilding my PC the other night and noticed that it wouldn't boot if I supplied RAM to it - I excluded everything that also could cause boot problems and figured that when I put in all 4 sticks I had laying around I'd never get a post beep to assure that the hardware configuration is somewhat okay and working. Furthermore it has to have something to do with the combination (because I'm using 2x2 4GB from different brands and probably decades :D) of RAM sticks with the same specs (attached picture). The question is obvious - is this particular combination supported by my motherboard (MS-7667) and CPU (i7-2600k)? And how can I do better than right now asking this question in being a professional and not having to do that.

6pLhtOA.jpg

So now after this tldr I hope I provided enough information to find a solution, for now I will be online on 8GB instead of 16 - Thank you for your patience and kind understanding if there are any major flaws in my way of communicating my desire and I wish you who is reading this a nice day :)

Solution
Most often different ram does not work together. In your case it is trial and error finding out, suggest that you try with individual sticks to see if the ram works and then try adding sticks. No tool available that will tell beforehand if they work together.
Most often different ram does not work together. In your case it is trial and error finding out, suggest that you try with individual sticks to see if the ram works and then try adding sticks. No tool available that will tell beforehand if they work together.

Solution
Jan 29, 2019

Well, thanks for the quick and easy answer - I guess I'll leave this open for some days and see if there's anyone who has something to add to it :)

I already switched and swapped the sticks around, as this was the obvious thing and felt like I was gonna break my Mainboard - take this as confirmation to your solution!

I read something about different RAM Timings of different sticks from different vendors (which are different) and will investigate further as soon as I do have the time to, maybe I'm onto something there because I always left these settings on "auto" in the BIOS.

Again, thanks for the provided solution (which helped me more than you think)
Greetings Pawgsy

P.s: Is there some way to auto-close this thread after some time has passed, much more important is it even a possible to close threads in here?