[SOLVED] Ram compatibility issue with MSI b450 gaming plus Max

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

therealityreaper

Commendable
Jan 11, 2019
Hi there I have a ryzen 5 1600
MSI b450 gaming plus Max
RX 580
PNY XLR8 DDR4 3200 MEGAHERTZ 2 * 8 GB
so this is a new computer it is my first time building one but the dram light on the motherboard lit up at startup and there was no display all the fan started spinning normally I think my ram might not be compatible but I'm not too sure anything will help and I have tried doing a CMOS reset and switching the two RAM sticks out for each other and all sorts of configurations

Solution
I was just doing some searching early 1000 series had some issues close to this but on b350 and a x370 mobo's.

1 thread went on for a year on some of the b350 mobos.

Some said to use hdmi to display adapter if you using a hdmi.

Another said on a x370 mobo that his keyboard was wired and had to be plugged in to the top left usb in the back i/o panel.

Another said the case was grounding out the mobo.
And that is 1 thought I was thinking of mentioning is to breadboard it out side the case. And is certainly worth a shot before you purchase another cpu.

So if your not familiar with that,
remove eveything you need to boot using a surface that is not metal say the mobo box, assemble and try to boot.
You would need to touch the 2 pins...

therealityreaper

Commendable
Jan 11, 2019
Thats Great News!!!!!!
Your Welcome!!!!!!
If there is more I can do I will be around.
Please hit the trophy icon on the best post that help solve your issue and that will also mark this thread as solved.
And Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!
Well sadly this morning another issue arose. I was working fine yesterday but now it doesn't seem to boot and press the power button fans turn on for a second then turned off I noticed whenever I unplugged the CPU power cable the fans stay on this is a big headache

Ya I feel you!!!!

Does you friend have any spare ddr4 ram ?
Or another cooler?
Maybe try 1 stick of ram in the first slot just right of the cpu.

Now wandering if there is bent pins again.
Also wandering if the bios maybe too recent for the 1600.
Sorry if this comes across wrong but Are you using thermal paste?

therealityreaper

Commendable
Jan 11, 2019
He doesn't have any spare but I plan on going to Best buy tomorrow and getting some that's on the compatibility listand we did use thermal paste if the ram doesn't work out I might just end up ordering another CPU

I was just doing some searching early 1000 series had some issues close to this but on b350 and a x370 mobo's.

1 thread went on for a year on some of the b350 mobos.

Some said to use hdmi to display adapter if you using a hdmi.

Another said on a x370 mobo that his keyboard was wired and had to be plugged in to the top left usb in the back i/o panel.

Another said the case was grounding out the mobo.
And that is 1 thought I was thinking of mentioning is to breadboard it out side the case. And is certainly worth a shot before you purchase another cpu.

So if your not familiar with that,
remove eveything you need to boot using a surface that is not metal say the mobo box, assemble and try to boot.
You would need to touch the 2 pins that your power switch leads are hooked to for powering it up with a metel object.
Twizzers or a small screwdriver will work.

If that doesn't work probably should
Pull cpu and check those pins again and if they are, there has to be something wrong with the socket and should contact Msi tech support before purchasing another cpu.

Solution