[SOLVED] Ram compatibility issue with MSI b450 gaming plus Max

therealityreaper

Commendable
Jan 11, 2019
Hi there I have a ryzen 5 1600
MSI b450 gaming plus Max
RX 580
PNY XLR8 DDR4 3200 MEGAHERTZ 2 * 8 GB
so this is a new computer it is my first time building one but the dram light on the motherboard lit up at startup and there was no display all the fan started spinning normally I think my ram might not be compatible but I'm not too sure anything will help and I have tried doing a CMOS reset and switching the two RAM sticks out for each other and all sorts of configurations

Solution
I was just doing some searching early 1000 series had some issues close to this but on b350 and a x370 mobo's.

1 thread went on for a year on some of the b350 mobos.

Some said to use hdmi to display adapter if you using a hdmi.

Another said on a x370 mobo that his keyboard was wired and had to be plugged in to the top left usb in the back i/o panel.

Another said the case was grounding out the mobo.
And that is 1 thought I was thinking of mentioning is to breadboard it out side the case. And is certainly worth a shot before you purchase another cpu.

So if your not familiar with that,
remove eveything you need to boot using a surface that is not metal say the mobo box, assemble and try to boot.
You would need to touch the 2 pins...
I'm not seeing that Pny Ram on your mobo Qvl list. Doesn't mean it won't run Just that it has not been confirmed to run by Msi.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PLUS-MAX#support-mem-12

The R 5 1600 supports up to 2667mhz.
Try lowering the frequency to next step below 2667 and work up and see if it boots and where it fails.
I know on the Msi b450 Pro Carbon there is a Try It in the bios ram area, look for it maybe also give that a try at a lower frequency.

therealityreaper

Commendable
Jan 11, 2019
I'm not seeing that Pny Ram on your mobo Qvl list. Doesn't mean it won't run Just that it has not been confirmed to run by Msi.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PLUS-MAX#support-mem-12

The R 5 1600 supports up to 2667mhz.
Try lowering the frequency to next step below 2667 and work up and see if it boots and where it fails.
I know on the Msi b450 Pro Carbon there is a Try It in the bios ram area, look for it maybe also give that a try at a lower frequency.
The computer doesn't get past POST, is there any way to get into the bios without passing POST

Ok thats not helping me much.
Is it a stock Amd cooler for a r7?
Sometimes aftermarket coolers can be over tightened which can cause is issues.
If it's a stock cooler it should be ok.
Because from here the next things would be to pull the cpu and check for bent pins.
So before doing so have on hand some thermal paste.

Or there is still others issue's going on that may requirer more help then me.

therealityreaper

Commendable
Jan 11, 2019
Ok thats not helping me much.
Is it a stock Amd cooler for a r7?
Sometimes aftermarket coolers can be over tightened which can cause is issues.
If it's a stock cooler it should be ok.
Because from here the next things would be to pull the cpu and check for bent pins.
So before doing so have on hand some thermal paste.

Or there is still others issue's going on that may requirer more help then me.
yeah to stock cooler I pulled it and there were no bent pins but it doesn't sit in the socket flush
like if I push on one of the corners the other side goes up and it's kind of weird