[SOLVED] Ram compatibility of pc

thisisarnab.me

Reputable
Dec 2, 2018
So I was wondering for quite a time that how a motherboard's ram compatibility works!? I am building a pc and intending to feed it 3200mhz 16GB. Naturally I would use a dual channel, but the point is all the compatible dual channel 16GB kit available on the market are way expensive, i.e. corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 costs here around 180$.

Now there is a compatible 8GB model on the market i.e. CMK8GX4M1E3200C16. It costs around 43$ here, which saves me a lot expense. Is it possible to buy 2 individual 8GB sticks and feed them as 2×8 GB? Will there be any drawbacks in performance? What are my options?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
General rule of thumb is to never mix & match RAM. You may get lucky and get 2 sticks that play nice with one another or you may have a system that has poor performance, random crashes, 16GB installed but only 8GB showing, the list goes on. I know it's more $$, but its very much worth buying a 2x8GB Kit and not 2 individual 8GB sticks. Even if they are the exact same brand/speed.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
General rule of thumb is to never mix & match RAM. You may get lucky and get 2 sticks that play nice with one another or you may have a system that has poor performance, random crashes, 16GB installed but only 8GB showing, the list goes on. I know it's more $$, but its very much worth buying a 2x8GB Kit and not 2 individual 8GB sticks. Even if they are the exact same brand/speed.

Reactions: thisisarnab.me
Solution

thisisarnab.me

Reputable
Dec 2, 2018
Alright, so I'll probably stick to the kit. Speaking of which, can you suggest some 3200 mhz 2×8 gb kit except corsair which can deliver good performance ? I know Corsair is reliable, but there must be some alternatives right? Also does cl15 and cl16 matter that much in case of speed and performance? Thank you by the way.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Alright, so I'll probably stick to the kit. Speaking of which, can you suggest some 3200 mhz 2×8 gb kit except corsair which can deliver good performance ? I know Corsair is reliable, but there must be some alternatives right? Also does cl15 and cl16 matter that much in case of speed and performance? Thank you by the way.

As shown in my SIG below, I have 16GB of g.skill FlairX DDR4-3200 and it's been flawless. Give us a little more info on your system, specifically CPU & motherboard make & model. Knowing where you're located (generalized, not exact) so we have an idea of what stores you have locally. Last but not least, whats your MAX realistic budget? Don't say $200 and then keep dropping the price. :)

Reactions: DMAN999

thisisarnab.me

Reputable
Dec 2, 2018
As shown in my SIG below, I have 16GB of g.skill FlairX DDR4-3200 and it's been flawless. Give us a little more info on your system, specifically CPU & motherboard make & model. Knowing where you're located (generalized, not exact) so we have an idea of what stores you have locally. Last but not least, whats your MAX realistic budget? Don't say $200 and then keep dropping the price. :)
The CPU is Ryzen 5 3500. The mobo I am choosing is the B450 Tomahawk but to be honest I haven't gone for that yet as the B550s are around the corner. Just warming up for the best pick. My total budget is 750$ of which I am willing to spend around 100$ for Ram, but not more than that.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
The CPU is Ryzen 5 3500. The mobo I am choosing is the B450 Tomahawk but to be honest I haven't gone for that yet as the B550s are around the corner. Just warming up for the best pick. My total budget is 750$ of which I am willing to spend around 100$ for Ram, but not more than that.

The B450 Tomahawk is a great board. The "Max" version even more so with it's support for higher clocked RAM. So can't go wrong there. Not sure about the 550 because.... lol

The new Ryzens love fast RAM, so I'd strongly advise a minimum of DDR4-3200. Faster if you can afford it. Here is a good article here on Tom's about RAM and the new Ryzen 3000 series. Well worth a read as it shows the differences between the speeds.

Here are a few generic videos showing the impact of different speeds while gaming. 1, 2 & 3

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
If you do get the Tomahawk (or Tomahawk MAX), I suggest you get a kit listed as compatible with that MB from here:
https://www.gskill.com/configurator...524715120&chipset=1531979578&model=1531979775

Like this one (currently $68 at Amazon):
https://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-Ripjaws-PC4-25600-3200MHz-F4-3200C16D-16GVKB/dp/B015FXXBW0

Reactions: thisisarnab.me