Question RAM compatibility question

ItsLeboi

Commendable
Jul 6, 2019
Hey guys, so recently built my first ever PC and it was running pretty well until the other day one of the sticks of RAM died, I'm using 2x8GB 3200Mhz DDR4 (Corsair Vengeance), I have to send both sticks back but am considering buying 1x8GB of the same RAM to get me through until I get the two back, it turns out you can't buy 1x8 that is 3200, only 3000mhz, my question is when I get the 2x8 back, will they work alongside the 3000mhz 1x8?

Thanks in advance

ItsLeboi

Commendable
Jul 6, 2019
It may or may not.

DIMM sets are tested together and sometimes even the same model will not work with an identical set -- not frequent but it can happen since they are only guaranteed to run as the set as sold.

What motherboard chipset?

That sucks to hear, I'm not sure what you mean by chipset (very new to PC) but I have an MSI B450 Tomahawk

RealBeast

Titan
Yeah.

While it probably will work, there is no way to know until you try it and there is no refund for incompatibility.

Your best chance would be to run all sticks at the slowest timings and highest voltage required by any stick. So 3000MHz, probably all run at 1.35V, just check the other timing settings.