[SOLVED] Ram compatibility question

thesub3001

Honorable
Dec 30, 2017
So I've recently purchased the i3 10100 along with H410M-HDV, a budget mobo I know. For a start I paired it with 8gb adata gammix 3200mhz cl16 which happened to be the cheapest ddr4 ram stick that was over 2400mhz. I wanted to get the full 2666 but there were no ram sticks at that speed available or if there were they'd actually be more expensive. So now I want to buy 8 more and make it a dual channel but I can't find the same stick. The closest one I got is adata gammix 3000mhz cl16. My question is considering the mobo will use it at 2666mhz having their base speed different would it make any incompatibility between the two when I put them in?

Solution
I wanted to get the full 2666 but there were no ram sticks at that speed available
3200 is faster than 2666.
unless it is a very low quality motherboard, you should be able to manually set the memory speeds to their manufacturer rated specs in the BIOS.
The closest one I got is adata gammix 3000mhz cl16. My question is considering the mobo will use it at 2666mhz having their base speed different would it make any incompatibility between the two when I put them in?
it is never recommended to mix sets of RAM, even the same brand\model.
though some get lucky and may have no noticeable issue(s) they are never guaranteed to work correctly, or at all, together.
even when it seems to work, many users experience frequent...
I wanted to get the full 2666 but there were no ram sticks at that speed available
unless it is a very low quality motherboard, you should be able to manually set the memory speeds to their manufacturer rated specs in the BIOS.
The closest one I got is adata gammix 3000mhz cl16. My question is considering the mobo will use it at 2666mhz having their base speed different would it make any incompatibility between the two when I put them in?
though some get lucky and may have no noticeable issue(s) they are never guaranteed to work correctly, or at all, together.
even when it seems to work, many users experience frequent crashes and limited speeds when attempting this.
you may be much better off purchasing a dual channel 2x 8GB set.
now I want to buy 8 more and make it a dual channel
a lot of single packaged RAM sticks are not dual-channel.
if you are attempting to mix two single stick packages, make sure both state they can run dual-channel.

Solution

thesub3001

Honorable
Dec 30, 2017
even when it seems to work, many users experience frequent crashes and limited speeds when attempting this.
you may be much better off purchasing a dual channel 2x 8GB set.
a lot of single packaged RAM sticks are not dual-channel.
if you are attempting to mix two single stick packages, make sure both state they can run dual-channel.
The 2666 limit comes from the i3 10100 as far as I am aware. The mobo supports up to 3600 if I am not mistaken. This particular ram is also sold in identical kits which run dual channel so getting them separate should not void the dual channel support I believe.

The 2666 limit comes from the i3 10100 as far as I am aware.
this is just a guarantee by Intel. those chips can run much faster memory speeds than is stated in their product specs. check in the BIOS for an available XMP profile or just set the manufacturer rated specs manually.
This particular ram is also sold in identical kits which run dual channel so getting them separate should not void the dual channel support I believe.
they may be labeled the same due to matching speeds and heatsinks, but it does not guarantee support. make sure they are specified as dual-channel.

also make sure the retailer has a good return policy for opened packages and used products.
there is a good chance you will learn the hard way why it is never recommended to mix RAM packages.