[SOLVED] RAM compatibility when not on Qualified Vendors List (Corsair, Asus)

ZOMGbies

Reputable
Apr 12, 2016
Hi

I've tried on vain to Google this myself but I can't find anything specific. And I need specific.

My motherboard is an ASUS Z370 Prime-A (mk 1), with the latest BIOS (2401). My RAM is CMW8GX4M1D3000C16 Corsair vengeance Rgb Pro.

The ram is NOT listed on the QVL for my mobo but IS listed on asus' strix variants of the z370 class. I understand that the QVL models are "yes" and the non qvl are "maybe?".

I had used this RAM for the last 2 years without noticing issues, XMP on, with my 9600k CPU.

After (perhaps foolishly)buying a 9900k, I had severe stability issues on xmp (barely able to post), seemingly resolved with stock speeds.

However for the first time to date, I actually ran memtest86 and even at stock 2133 mhz it had memory errors.

I had always thought if the rated memory speeds and type are compatible, then the specific model doesnt matter so much. But the above test has made me question that.

Is my ram faulty? Is there a setting I can change that will make it work? Or am I best served by buying a new mono that has the ram on the qvl?

Solution
I have resolved the issue myself. Using memtest86 have confirmed more than once that 2 sticks of ram (out of 4 total) are faulty and I will be following up with Corsair for a replacement. The "good" two happily oc to their xmp rated speed. And I even bumped them from 3000 to 3200mhz (no voltage change) with 0 errors. Probably going to leave it there.

Someone suggested my vrms are not good enough to handle the 9900k they are probably right however, at stock the vrm heatsinks are frosty cool (to the touch). I haven't tested beyond this (I will though, assuming the mobo has temp sensors there, it might not) but extensive research tells me the Gigabyte Aorus Ultra or Elite is a good and cost effective idea. Apparently ASUS really...
Hi

I've tried on vain to Google this myself but I can't find anything specific. And I need specific.

My motherboard is an ASUS Z370 Prime-A (mk 1), with the latest BIOS (2401). My RAM is CMW8GX4M1D3000C16 Corsair vengeance Rgb Pro.

The ram is NOT listed on the QVL for my mobo but IS listed on asus' strix variants of the z370 class. I understand that the QVL models are "yes" and the non qvl are "maybe?".

I had used this RAM for the last 2 years without noticing issues, XMP on, with my 9600k CPU.

After (perhaps foolishly)buying a 9900k, I had severe stability issues on xmp (barely able to post), seemingly resolved with stock speeds.

However for the first time to date, I actually ran memtest86 and even at stock 2133 mhz it had memory errors.

I had always thought if the rated memory speeds and type are compatible, then the specific model doesnt matter so much. But the above test has made me question that.

Is my ram faulty? Is there a setting I can change that will make it work? Or am I best served by buying a new mono that has the ram on the qvl?
At stock speed you should have ZERO errors. So, something is amiss.
Did you do a clear CMOS recently, or after changing your CPU, or simply resetting the bios to default value ? If not, start by doing it.
The reference for your RAM, is for a single stick, 8 GB. Is that what you have, a single stick ?
If you have several sticks of the same reference, that could eventually be the problem as they were not factory tested to work together (even same reference, etc...).
So, if you use a single stick, after a clear CMOS and at base speed and you still have errors, two possibilities remain;
  1. your RAM is defective
  2. it is really not compatible with your mobo, and therefore not on the QVL, at least when using the new CPU
Do you have another PC where you could test the RAM ?

Last edited:

ZOMGbies

Reputable
Apr 12, 2016
At stock speed you should have ZERO errors. So, something is amiss.
Did you do a clear CMOS recently, or after changing your CPU, or simply resetting the bios to default value ? If not, start by doing it.
The reference for your RAM, is for a single stick, 8 GB. Is that what you have, a single stick ?
If you have several sticks of the same reference, that could eventually be the problem as they were not factory tested to work together (even same reference, etc...).
So, if you use a single stick, after a clear CMOS and at base speed and you still have errors, two possibilities remain;
  1. your RAM is defective
  2. it is really not compatible with your mobo, and therefore not on the QVL, at least when using the new CPU
Do you have another PC where you could test the RAM ?

Hi thanks for the reply.

I made en error with the model number, I had googled it while at work. The correct one is 2D. So two sets of x2 dimms. Both the same product. Is that still a possible issue long term? Surely high end RAM that's specifically tested to work at x rating will be fine?

Cmos had been cleared yes, because when changing CPUs I had a host of other issues, the cmos clear ended up fixing those issues mainly. I thought I was stable again until I persisted trying to get xmp working (leading me here).

But I do have an update I didn't expect: I had memtested two dimms when posting both failed and I expected all four to fail. But I have now finished all four.

The first two dimms I tested produce errors in the first pass. The other two make it through all 4 passes error free!

So I think I have my answer: the QVL can be ignored on this occasion and I have two faulty ram sticks to chat with corsair about under their lifetime warranty.

Would you agree?

That motherboards VRM’s are woefully inadequate for a 9900k. You will need a new motherboard to run this cpu properly even at stock speeds. Another couple of points are what cpu cooler and psu (and full pc spec) are you running? The 9900k is a power hungry and hot cpu, there is nothing low end about running one.

Is there any opportunity to return the 9900k? At this point as you already need a new motherboard you would have been better off going with a Z490 and 10700k.

ZOMGbies

Reputable
Apr 12, 2016
That motherboards VRM’s are woefully inadequate for a 9900k. You will need a new motherboard to run this cpu properly even at stock speeds. Another couple of points are what cpu cooler and psu (and full pc spec) are you running? The 9900k is a power hungry and hot cpu, there is nothing low end about running one.

Is there any opportunity to return the 9900k? At this point as you already need a new motherboard you would have been better off going with a Z490 and 10700k.

Could you please be more specific about the VRMs? I know what they are and why good ones are needed - really I would just like you to cite a source. I don't specifically remember where I got my information, but I recall being assured by a reputable source that they were good enough - but that was before I intended to get a 9900k.

As for swapping them for this years models, I looked into that as well, and at local pricing (new) - even if I could get a refund on the CPU - it would cost me $300 more than simply changing motherboards to an Asus STRIX Z390 F. So I won't be doing that (490 board is $100 more, 10900 is $200+ more)

I'm able to happily OC my i9 to 5.1 on all cores stable, and it sits at about 60 degrees under 100% load. Haven't really dialled anything in yet because of the RAM issues. As for system specs, its all Corsair and ASUS pretty much:

• ASUS z370 Prime A mobo
  • i9 9900k (the newer one)
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (4 dimms, Two packs of 2x8GB cmw16gx4m2d3000c16) - now only using 2 DIMMS (see below)
  • Corsair H115i Platinum (2 x140mm fans top exhaust)
  • Asus Strix 1070ti, soon™ to be 3080
  • Kingston a2000 1tb nvme for OS
  • WD 500gb m.2 sata
  • 1tb WD Blue EZEX
  • 120Gb Samsung Evo
  • Corsair HX750 PSU
The reason I'm down to two DIMMs is because between posting and now, is that I completed all the individual-DIMM memory tests. Two passed with 0 errors, and two failed miserably on the the first pass. The two that were successful also passed under XMP mode - So i believe that to be the solution (contact Corsair for replacement on lifetime wty). I thought I'd give a thoughtful response despite knowing this before replying, since you raised the issue of my VMRs and I'd like to hear what you have to tell me.

Last edited:

ZOMGbies

Reputable
Apr 12, 2016
I have resolved the issue myself. Using memtest86 have confirmed more than once that 2 sticks of ram (out of 4 total) are faulty and I will be following up with Corsair for a replacement. The "good" two happily oc to their xmp rated speed. And I even bumped them from 3000 to 3200mhz (no voltage change) with 0 errors. Probably going to leave it there.

Someone suggested my vrms are not good enough to handle the 9900k they are probably right however, at stock the vrm heatsinks are frosty cool (to the touch). I haven't tested beyond this (I will though, assuming the mobo has temp sensors there, it might not) but extensive research tells me the Gigabyte Aorus Ultra or Elite is a good and cost effective idea. Apparently ASUS really dropped the ball on VRMs. I will consider that once I have replaced my ram. I won't bother ocing my CPU until then.

Hopefully this assists others in future.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS