Question RAM Compatibility with Motherboard

jsn421

Prominent
Nov 16, 2019
I'm experiencing a stability issue with my build. I believe it has to do with the RAM compatibility with my motherboard. I hope there are a few hardware experts willing to read and respond. I would appreciate it.

Once every 2 to 3 days I am getting a WHEA blue screen hardware error. Most of the time, the code is 0x124 but I have seen a few other memory related errors too. The event viewer occasionally shows a WHEA logger error (hardware error reported by processor core, cache hierarchy).

The error usually occurs when the machine is idle (but not always).

Here are the important facts:

-Machine is a few months old, brand new build
-It has been doing it since the start
-I have replaced the CPU and the issue is still the same
-I have replaced the PSU and the issue is still the same
-RAM passed an 8 hour stress test
-CPU (old one and new one) both passed prime95 and Intel's diagnostic test
-GPU passes furmark test + works great in games
-ALL drivers, chipset driver, and BIOS are up to date
-There are NO overclocks applied on the system
-I have tried using the XMP for supposedly improved memory stability, but the result was the same and I reverted the XMP to off
-I have tried running the RAM at speeds 2166, 2666, and 3200. All yield the same result with no observable difference.

CPU
Intel i9-9900k

MB
MSI MEG Z390 ACE

RAM
Corsair CMW32GX4M2C3200C16
I am using 2 kits. Each kit contains 2 DIMMs of 16gb each, for a total of 64gb.

According to the motherboard manufacturer's website
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MEG-Z390-ACE#support-mem-3

My specific RAM is not supported by the motherboard. If you do a control-f for "CMW" you will see that there are 6 similar results, but not my exact model number.

I did not notice this when I gathered the parts for this build, unfortunately for me.

My question going forward.........

What does this mean for me? Do I need to get entirely new RAM if I want any chance of system stability?

Is there a hardware reason for why my RAM is not supported by the motherboard, even though very similar models in the same class are supported?

Can I configure my RAM in any way to achieve compatibility with the motherboard?

Thank you for reading.

jsn421

Prominent
Nov 16, 2019
RAM compatibility - using 2 kits.

Memory is guaranteed in the form sold and not in other combinations you decide to create. Of course you can make any combinations you want and do your own compatibility testing with no guarantees.

Yes, I read the pinned thread. I am aware of this.

I am asking what my options are at this point. New RAM? Or are there any settings I can work to try to get stability?

jsn421

Prominent
Nov 16, 2019
I have tested using only 1 stick of RAM. The problem is still occurring, regardless of which slot I use.

Are there any additional methods I can use to narrow down the problem? This might not be a RAM error.