[SOLVED] RAM compatibility x58 mobo

Irontrimp

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
I have a computer I just built on an older mobo, it's a sabertooth x58 which supports tripple channel 24GB ddr3 1866 mhz RAM. I want to buy and install 16gb ripjaw (2x8gb) ddr3 @ 1866. My question is will using two sticks be fine and also later if I buy another single ripjaw 8gb clocked the same will this be ok?

Solution
There are no 8GB modules in memory compatibility list for this motherboard.
6 ram slots, 24GB max - means you can use 4GB ram modules.
Be ready that 8GB modules may not be compatible at all.

Irontrimp

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012

Right, I see this now. Didnt realize an 8gb stick wouldnt work... i guess the question remains though, does it matter how many sticks i use? provided i use the same speed stick in every slot is there anything wrong with going from say 16 to 24 later? (4x4 then another 2x4)

Jul 28, 2020
Compatibility lists are out of date from the moment they are printed.

Short answer: yes it does support 8GB sticks and up to 48 GB RAM on asus sabertooth x58 with in my case Bloomfield i7 950. You should always install RAM in this system 3 sticks at a time.

Long answer:
Just to be specific yes the manual states 24GB and 4GB sticks but that is because 8GB were not in wide circulation at the time. Memory installed should be in sets of 3 as triple channel (in very specific slots).

Achieving 24GB with 3 x 8GB sticks is the easiest thing to do achieving decent memory speeds/timings.
I'm upgraded recently (last 4 months) using this quad kit (you won't find a triple kit these days)
32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Low Profile Jet Black, PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC, CAS 10-10-10-27, XMP, 1.5V

One 8GB is not used. Ignore the SPD values they did not match the tested timing values written on the product for some reason. Works stably at 1600Mhz. Passed days of memtest and GSAT.

48GB is more tricky (6 x 8GB sticks) . In other forums as you mentioned they are mostly concerned with the amount of RAM for servers rather than the speed. You can't do this at higher speeds. You WILL need to tweak voltages and test a lot to get it stable. I would not recommend it unless you had a pressing reason to do so.

Type of memory used is key. Not so much speed/ timings but to do with the density/amount of memory chips on each stick.

Hope this helps another someone else googling.

My X58 system with more RAM, a SSD, new GPU will last for many years to come.

TRENDING THREADS