[SOLVED] RAM Compatibility

Solution
No. It is not guaranteed to run in dual channel mode, as I already stated the fact, it has to match the specs identically.

The only way to get dual channel is to install the same Samsung stick M471A2K43DB1-CTD or replace with a new identical kit.

Ralston18

Titan
How did you chose the Kingston RAM?

Did you search Kingston's website using your laptop model to find the RAM?

You should also check other RAM manufacturer's websites. Find what RAM they offer as "matching"

Then look at the detailed RAM specs and compare. If the specs are all in agreement then the Kingston (or whatever manufacturer you chose) is likely to work.

Details matter.

Overall: the real source is the documentation for the HP Omen laptop.

I found the following link:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06219881

[Do verify that I identified the applicable manual.]

See physically numbered Page 40. Do pay attention to the "IMPORTANT:" notes.

Added suggestion: Read the entire manual for other caveats and possible RAM issues.

Reactions: Zivan95

dimtodim

Reputable
Oct 27, 2020

You should also check other RAM manufacturer's websites. Find what RAM they offer as "matching"

Then look at the detailed RAM specs and compare. If the specs are all in agreement then the Kingston (or whatever manufacturer you chose) is likely to work.

Details matter.

Added suggestion: Read the entire manual for other caveats and possible RAM issues.

Details matter.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06219881

Knowing that my laptop has ddr4 2666mhz ram, i just searched from amazon ddr4 2666mhz laptop ram and the one with good reviews was the kingston one
That's how I chose the Kingston ram.

The factory installed memory seems to be 1 x 16GB stick for this laptop.
And the Amazon link is for a 16GB Kit ( 2 x 8GB). Although the amazon link memory is compatible. If you already have a 16GB stick, best not to buy two 8GB sticks, instead install a 8GB stick in 2nd or even better add a 16GB stick.

Both Amazon link and Crucial link is correct. They are good.

Choose Dual rank memory for 16GB stick. For 8GB stick, single rank is good.
You can refer this link also: https://www.memorystock.com/memory/HewlettPackardOMEN15dc1026tx.html

Oct 27, 2020
The factory installed memory seems to be 1 x 16GB stick for this laptop.
And the Amazon link is for a 16GB Kit ( 2 x 8GB). Although the amazon link memory is compatible. If you already have a 16GB stick, best not to buy two 8GB sticks, instead install a 8GB stick in 2nd or even better add a 16GB stick.

Both Amazon link and Crucial link is correct. They are good.

Choose Dual rank memory for 16GB stick. For 8GB stick, single rank is good.
You can refer this link also: https://www.memorystock.com/memory/HewlettPackardOMEN15dc1026tx.html

Oh i though for dual channel to work, you need the exact same type of ram, like the ones that comes in kits

So i can add the crucial 16gb (dual rank) ddr4 2666mhz to my laptop without any problem and have a total of 32gb ram

For dual channel, you do need an identical set. It 'must' be identical in all specification.

By adding a 'dual rank' stick along with the existing 16GB stick(regardless single or dual rank, likely to be dual rank), you will have 32GB, but not in dual channel mode necessarily, 'if' the sticks differ in profiles, timings etc., Dual rank does not mean dual channel.

You may have two 16GB Dual Rank sticks of same speed, and yet will not have Dual Channel, if the sticks are unmatched in other specs.

Oct 27, 2020
For dual channel, you do need an identical set. It 'must' be identical in all specification.

By adding a 'dual rank' stick along with the existing 16GB stick(regardless single or dual rank, likely to be dual rank), you will have 32GB, but not in dual channel mode necessarily, 'if' the sticks differ in profiles, timings etc., Dual rank does not mean dual channel.

You may have two 16GB Dual Rank sticks of same speed, and yet will not have Dual Channel, if the sticks are unmatched in other specs.

Here is my RAM specification
https://ibb.co/qBxkZqd
Edit: Found the Module Name - Samsung M471A2K43DB1-CTD

If I were to buy the crucial 16gb dual rank stick, will it enable dual channel mode?

Thank you