Question RAM compatibility

milhouse1

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
Hi,
I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7580 with an 8th generation i7 cpu, currently running with 1 stick of 16gb ddr4 memory.
CPU-Z says the max memory bandwidth is ddr4-2666, but crucial.com says I can do ddr4-3200 and the memory I’m looking at (Corsair Vengeance Performance SODIMM Memory 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz) says it’s compatible with 8th Generation or Newer Intel Core i7 processors.
Can anyone confirm if this memory will work with my laptop?

Thanks in advance.
Monty

Hi,
I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7580 with an 8th generation i7 cpu, currently running with 1 stick of 16gb ddr4 memory.
CPU-Z says the max memory bandwidth is ddr4-2666, but crucial.com says I can do ddr4-3200 and the memory I’m looking at (Corsair Vengeance Performance SODIMM Memory 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz) says it’s compatible with 8th Generation or Newer Intel Core i7 processors.

Thanks in advance.
Monty

Have you taken a look at Dell documents?

Specification sheet for that exact model?

Owner's manual?

Did Crucial give a recommendation after you entered your model number at their website?

Or did Crucial say that after you allowed it to scan this same laptop?

Crucial is highly accurate, but I would not want to say infallible.

milhouse1

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
Thanks Lafong. I ran a scan with crucial and the ddr4-3200 was the top recommended result but at 16gb.
Dell.com specs says it supports 32gb ddr4 at 2400, I’m just not sure if that’s because thats what it was at the time that spec sheet was written.

That’s my guess too.

So if Corsair claims it’s plug and play with an 8th gen i7, can I rely on that or stick with the dell.com spec sheet?

"Rely" is a stringent requirement.

I'd be more inclined to buy Crucial RAM based on Crucial's scan of that laptop.....than rely on Corsair marketing claims about general compatibility.

Maybe you have a strong Corsair preference?

Quite possibly either would be perfectly fine, but you say "rely", so.........

milhouse1

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
"Rely" is a stringent requirement.

I'd be more inclined to buy Crucial RAM based on Crucial's scan of that laptop.....than rely on Corsair marketing claims about general compatibility.

Maybe you have a strong Corsair preference?

Quite possibly either would be perfectly fine, but you say "rely", so.........
Not necessarily, always had good results with Corsair in the past but not tied to it. Thanks for the help.

Hi,

Thanks in advance.
Monty
Make sure of the return policy and try it.

If it does work I suspect it will clock down to 2400 speed.