Question Ram Compatible with mainboard?

Jun 3, 2022
I just got a pc gifted, though the ram is missing. My Mainboard is a ASRock H110m Dgs. The Ram i am getting for free is a G.Skill 8GB F4-2400C17S-8GIS DDR4 Stick.

The motherboard doesnt include this stick in their supported memory list, so even though it is ddr4 it should be working fine right? Every DDR4 DIMM Stick should be compatible with my mainboard right?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What processor have you paired or are interested in pairing with that motherboard? If you have a 7th Gen processor, you'll be able to take advantage of DDR4-2400MHz, if it's a 6th Gen Intel processor, then you're going to get a max of DDR4-2133MHz. The ram stick you have listed will work though keep in mind the processor being used...and to close off with the QVL not having that stick of ram, QVL's are meant to show the end user that the stick of ram was used/tested on the board in their lab, so it should work out of the box. However please keep in mind if QVL's catered to all sticks of ram by all makers, then you wouldn't see the release of the board since it'd be in testing all the time. Updating the QVL isn't also a realistic/financially sound endeavor by motherboard makers.

If anything, get a dual channel DD4-2400MHz ram kit and call it a day, provided you're working with a 7th Gen Intel processor. If 6th Gen, drop down to DDR4-2133MHz but keep the dual channel(ram kit) info in mind.

Lastly, make sure your BIOS is on the latest version.

Jun 3, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What processor have you paired or are interested in pairing with that motherboard? If you have a 7th Gen processor, you'll be able to take advantage of DDR4-2400MHz, if it's a 6th Gen Intel processor, then you're going to get a max of DDR4-2133MHz. The ram stick you have listed will work though keep in mind the processor being used...and to close off with the QVL not having that stick of ram, QVL's are meant to show the end user that the stick of ram was used/tested on the board in their lab, so it should work out of the box. However please keep in mind if QVL's catered to all sticks of ram by all makers, then you wouldn't see the release of the board since it'd be in testing all the time. Updating the QVL isn't also a realistic/financially sound endeavor by motherboard makers.

If anything, get a dual channel DD4-2400MHz ram kit and call it a day, provided you're working with a 7th Gen Intel processor. If 6th Gen, drop down to DDR4-2133MHz but keep the dual channel(ram kit) info in mind.

Lastly, make sure your BIOS is on the latest version.

Thanks for the answer.

I forgot to mention that the processor i am using is an i5 7500. I am getting the stick for free so i dont see myself buying 2 sticks at the moment. So if there is nothing else i have to keep in mind when adding this thing into my pc, ill thank you for helping me out. And the QVL part you have mentioned is something i didnt think about before.:D