Question Ram/Computer problems

Denzy

Prominent
Jul 15, 2019
Hey guys, I just recently came across this problem after installing new LPX Vengeance (8x2) 16gb ram sticks into my computer. The motherboard I am using supports the 2400mhz of the ram, but recently my computer blue screened. I suspect this is because of issues related to my PSU and want to verify that I need to upgrade it to 500-550watts. I have not overclocked my cpu or gpu, any suggestions. Thanks

SPECS
Intel i5-7500
GTX 1050ti 4gb
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8x2 2400mhz
Asrock B250m-HDV
400W PSU

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

It's a bit of a misconception that a BSOD is one problem, in fact there are a multitude of BSOD types, and each one of these have various sub types of bugcheck, so no BSOD is the same really. In order to properly diagnose what BSOD you are encountering and how it could be resolved, please see this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/

We would need to know the details of the BSOD, and the best way for this is often to grab the minidump as shown in the guide above.

As a quick port of call however:
  • Remove any overclocks by resetting BIOS first and see if the issue persists.
  • What exact make and model PSU is it?

Denzy

Prominent
Jul 15, 2019
Ok, the BSOD only has happend twice after 50+ hours of gaming on it and it repaired so fast I was unable to look at the error code. The PSU is EVGA 400W, and based on using a PSU calculator it says that I should definetly upgrade to around 500W.

Denzy

Prominent
Jul 15, 2019
Hey! Turns out that I had the BOSD again and the error code read "System Service Exception" so I think ill be uninstalling this RAM and returning it, any suggestions.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ok, the BSOD only has happend twice after 50+ hours of gaming on it and it repaired so fast I was unable to look at the error code. The PSU is EVGA 400W, and based on using a PSU calculator it says that I should definetly upgrade to around 500W.
The PSU calculators are to be taken which a pinch of salt. Yes you probably should have a bigger PSU, but remember the overall "500W" is not what powers your main components, but more specifically, how many volts are on the 12V rail(s). So it's quality you need.

System Service Exception once again has several different bugchecks, however if the problems only occurred after getting the new RAM, then I would run memtest on the new RAM and then send back accordingly if errors are found. Have they been installed as per MB manual?