[SOLVED] Ram config question

KingLouis

Commendable
Mar 6, 2017
My motherboard has 4 ram slots. I have 2x8 and 2x16 cards and I want to put all 4 of them in. I currently have the following setup going off of what the motherboard manual said but Im not quite sure I understood it correctly. (This is what bios told me)
A1: 8gb
A2: 16gb
B1: 8gb
B2: 16gb

Is this the correct configuration? To my understanding there are two channels, 1 and 2 and the sticks of the same size should go in the same channel. Is this correct?
Thanks in advance,
Louis

Solution
If your system is reporting 48GB of RAM, then you're good to go. If it's only reporting 32GB or worse, 16GB, then your new RAM isn't compatible with your old RAM.

-Wolf sends
Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. Any other combinations you decide to make have no guarantee to be compatible together.

Since you can make any combinations you want, you can do your own compatibility testing to see how things work together with no guarantees. This could prove to be economically expensive.

Wolfshadw

Titan
My motherboard has 4 ram slots. I have 2x8 and 2x16 cards and I want to put all 4 of them in. I currently have the following setup going off of what the motherboard manual said but Im not quite sure I understood it correctly. (This is what bios told me)
A1: 8gb
A2: 16gb
B1: 8gb
B2: 16gb

Is this the correct configuration? To my understanding there are two channels, 1 and 2 and the sticks of the same size should go in the same channel. Is this correct?
Thanks in advance,
Louis

Would be easier to confirm if we knew what motherboard you have.

-Wolf sends

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's the fact that they aren't from the same package.
As @Calvin7 already said, memory is only guaranteed to work as sold.

Even 2 separate kits of the same brand and specs can still fail - this is simply the combination with the highest compatibility rate. The symptoms:
-freezing/crashing
-stuttering
-BSODs
-all of these may not even show up right away

If it does end up working, great! If not, you'll have to part with the 16GB kit.