[SOLVED] RAM Configuration Help Needed

teamrw

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Hello to everyone reading this! I thought I would upgrade my RAM in anticipation of Cyberpunk 2077 coming out.

To get straight to the point, previously I had 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9 RAM (ver4.19) . So 2 sticks of 1600mhz RAM with timing 9-9-9-24 and Voltage of 1.5v. I then went ahead and bought a pack of 3x4GB Corsair Vengeance CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 RAM (ver5.21). So that's 3 sticks of 1600mhz RAM with timing 9-9-9-24 and Voltage of 1.5v.

You probably know what I am going to ask already :D

Also I bought a 3 pack of 4GB RAM because it was the only Corsair Vengeance RAM that I could go and buy off the shelf today. Will I be able to run 16GB or even 12GB given that my motherboard is a ASUS Maximus VII Ranger and thus doesn't support 3-channel memory to my knowledge. I would just go ahead and try but I don't want to damage any components. CPU is an intel i5 4690K if that plays a hand in the matter.

The possible combinations would be:
All 3 sticks of the new RAM
3 sticks of new RAM mixed with 1 of the old RAM.
2 sticks of new RAM in dual channel and 2 sticks of old RAM in dual channel

Don't know if this whole dual channel business is even necessary or whether or not the old RAM supported it anyway I would just like to go from 8GB of RAM to MORE GB of RAM.

I might add my previous 2x4GB memory ran at 1333mhz even though I had it installed in the red A2 and B2 slots as you're apparently supposed to for dual channel memory.

Thank you in advance to anyone who could help a brother out here.

Solution
You won't damage your board by using different ram kits. The only chance you would damage it is if you manually increased voltage past 1.65, which you have should have no reason to do, as 1.5v should work fine for 4 modules unless it's unstable after running minimum one full default test pass with memtest86.

You may have some stability issues running 4x4GB 1600 CL9 with XMP, but you could just loosen the timings some or increase voltage slightly.
You won't damage your board by using different ram kits. The only chance you would damage it is if you manually increased voltage past 1.65, which you have should have no reason to do, as 1.5v should work fine for 4 modules unless it's unstable after running minimum one full default test pass with memtest86.

You may have some stability issues running 4x4GB 1600 CL9 with XMP, but you could just loosen the timings some or increase voltage slightly.

Solution