Question RAM configuration in BIOS settings ?

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
I assembled a computer that has the following components.
  • Crucial P5 2TB PCIe M.2
  • GIGABYTE Radeon RX 6500 XT GAMING OC 4G(GV-R65XTGAMING OC-4GD)
  • ASRock Z690 Phantom Gaming 4/D5 INTEL
  • Crucial DDR5 4800_32G
  • 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900KF
And then I booted into the BIOS.

Originally, the memory is "Auto" whatever that means.
Kakao-Talk-20220906-224428404-04.jpg

If I click "XMP Profile" then it switches to Profile 1
1.jpg

If I click it again, now Profile 2
Kakao-Talk-20220906-224428404-02.jpg

If I click it again, now Profile 3
Kakao-Talk-20220906-224428404-01.jpg

Which setting is the best setting that maximizes the computation speed? I use a software that puts a 30GB of big data onto RAM and execute a heavy calculation. So it needs to be fast.

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
Just start with Auto to see, you can change it later when you found that your system works smoothly.

Yes I started with Auto. I have been using it in this way for a week now. But I am wondering if it will be better if I change this setting. I use a software that puts a 30GB of big data onto RAM and execute a heavy calculation. Speeding up this software is the only thing I care about.

Yes I started with Auto. I have been using it in this way for a week now. But I am wondering if it will be better if I change this setting. I use a software that puts a 30GB of big data onto RAM and execute a heavy calculation. Speeding up this software is the only thing I care about.

Do you have a set of your actual data that you can use to test....using a stopwatch with the 3 different choices? The differences might not matter much, but if I was doing the same job time after time, I'd try to find out.....particularly if it was a money-making proposition.

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
Do you have a set of your actual data that you can use to test....using a stopwatch with the 3 different choices? The differences might not matter much, but if I was doing the same job time after time, I'd try to find out.....particularly if it was a money-making proposition.

Is there any downside of changing this setting over and over again? I am a complete beginner in computing and assembling stuff. I am worried that I might mess up something. If it doesn't cause any harm to repeatedly change this setting back and forth, then I will try and test my software like you suggested.

And if I read the BIOS in the screenshot, Profile 1 is 4800, Profile 2 is 4400, Profile 3 is 4000. Doesn't that mean that Profile 1 is the best? Then why does the computer just simply always set the setting to the best option which is Profile 1? What's the point of having the "Auto" version?