Question RAM CONFIGURATOR ?

Aug 20, 2020
CPU:3970x
mobo: auros trx40 pro wifi
cooler: Uh-14s-TRx40-sp3
case: fractal meshify C
GPU: zotac Geforce gtx 1660
memory: CMK256GX4M83000CL16

I'm looking for some new memory for my build. I have been struggling getting my system to pass AIDA64 SST. I dont even see my current memory on the QVL for my mobo. I wanted to try the GSKILL memory and see if that makes a difference. I'm interested in any of these 3 options.

1. F4-2666C18Q2-256GTZ
  2. F4-3200C16Q2-256GTZ
  3. F4-3600C18Q2-256GTZ

CAn I trust all the options the RAM config gives from my mobo? They have all been tested? Anyone else have success with 256GB on TR 3970x? I struggling to achieve stability when I push computer to the limit. I ran AIDA64 FPU for 2 hrs and TEMPS stayed at 80C the entire time. So I shouldn't have a temp issue. If I run the SST with all 6 subtests enabled the computer hangs(not responding after about 5 seconds). I have to go into task manager and end task there. Just looking for any advice to get a stable system? I'm even willing to drop down to some 128GB memory. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The G.Skill memory configurator is MORE accurate than the motherboard QVL list. Memory manufacturers have a vested interest in making certain, by validating, that all compatible memory kits are listed and they test ALL their memory kits against specific motherboard models and chipsets to ensure that they are. If G.Skill says a given set of sticks is compatible with a motherboard, then it is, so long as you get ALL of your memory in one kit, and don't try to mix multiple kits together, not even if they are the same part number.

Reactions: cpstar
CPU:3970x
mobo: auros trx40 pro wifi
cooler: Uh-14s-TRx40-sp3
case: fractal meshify C
GPU: zotac Geforce gtx 1660
memory: CMK256GX4M83000CL16

I'm looking for some new memory for my build. I have been struggling getting my system to pass AIDA64 SST. I dont even see my current memory on the QVL for my mobo. I wanted to try the GSKILL memory and see if that makes a difference. I'm interested in any of these 3 options.

1. F4-2666C18Q2-256GTZ
  2. F4-3200C16Q2-256GTZ
  3. F4-3600C18Q2-256GTZ
CAn I trust all the options the RAM config gives from my mobo? They have all been tested? Anyone else have success with 256GB on TR 3970x? I struggling to achieve stability when I push computer to the limit. I ran AIDA64 FPU for 2 hrs and TEMPS stayed at 80C the entire time. So I shouldn't have a temp issue. If I run the SST with all 6 subtests enabled the computer hangs(not responding after about 5 seconds). I have to go into task manager and end task there. Just looking for any advice to get a stable system? I'm even willing to drop down to some 128GB memory. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ok I see what you are trying to do. The biggest hurdle will be finding sticks with the right number of rank configuration. The most dense stuff is almost always dual rank, and there lies the problem because it's much more difficult on the memory controller to run like 4x dual rank than 4x single rank. Keep in mind I'm not talking slots or channels. I know TR is quad channel so you will want either 4 slots or 8 slots populated. If you can only find dual rank kits in the density you want, just try running them at lower frequencies. 3200 should be doable, but you never really know until you try. Tell me what you have tried as far as the RAM you already have. I might could get it working stable with some tweaking.

Reactions: cpstar
Aug 20, 2020
Ok I see what you are trying to do. The biggest hurdle will be finding sticks with the right number of rank configuration. The most dense stuff is almost always dual rank, and there lies the problem because it's much more difficult on the memory controller to run like 4x dual rank than 4x single rank. Keep in mind I'm not talking slots or channels. I know TR is quad channel so you will want either 4 slots or 8 slots populated. If you can only find dual rank kits in the density you want, just try running them at lower frequencies. 3200 should be doable, but you never really know until you try. Tell me what you have tried as far as the RAM you already have. I might could get it working stable with some tweaking.
As far as the RAM i already have i haven't tweaked any timings or voltages. I have however taken my PC apart three times changed the cooler twice finally settling on this one listed above. I'm confident that I have the seating and paste dialed in. My fans placement is solid as well. My Temps are pretty darn good under load as tested with aida64 FPU test. After two hours never got above 80C. I have tested my RAM twice all sticks together with memtest. I did no XMP and w/XMP 4 passes and no errors. But I can't for the life of me survive 5 min of Aida64 with all 6 subtests enabled. I passed OCCT. I feel like the problem happens when both the cpu and memory are both maxed out. At this point I will take even as little as 64gb of ram to get a clean system that passes the most rigorous tests. I need this computer for poker simulation and those sims can get large 80gb-150gb. So its essential that I have high core count and relatively high memory capacity. Are there any tweaks I can do with timing or voltages before I take out some sticks and try running with 32gb then 64gb then 128gb?

The first thing to try is raising SoC voltage. Some processors can get by with less than 1.1v but many need 1.2 to 1.25v. That helps stabilize the memory controller. Obviously some DRAM voltage helps. 1.2v should work for running stock JEDEC speed/latency, but if you want more performance you might need as high as 1.5v. I actually saw a DDR4 kit with 1.6v released this month but that was a seriously overclocked kit. Any idea what ICs are on your RAM? You can check with Thaiphoon Burner.

All this with Auto timings. Once you get stable, then perhaps we can tighten them down using the 1usmus calculator for reference (it gets you in the ballpark).

Speaking of which, he has a very in-depth guide for Ryzen memory tuning on the techpowerup forum. It can help identify some settings that might be useful to gain stability beyond just timings and voltage.

Aug 20, 2020
The first thing to try is raising SoC voltage. Some processors can get by with less than 1.1v but many need 1.2 to 1.25v. That helps stabilize the memory controller. Obviously some DRAM voltage helps. 1.2v should work for running stock JEDEC speed/latency, but if you want more performance you might need as high as 1.5v. I actually saw a DDR4 kit with 1.6v released this month but that was a seriously overclocked kit. Any idea what ICs are on your RAM? You can check with Thaiphoon Burner.

All this with Auto timings. Once you get stable, then perhaps we can tighten them down using the 1usmus calculator for reference (it gets you in the ballpark).

Speaking of which, he has a very in-depth guide for Ryzen memory tuning on the techpowerup forum. It can help identify some settings that might be useful to gain stability beyond just timings and voltage.

This is what I got from running the Thaiphoon Burner. I looked in the BIOS and all my stuff is just set on AUTO. Should I work on changing the SoC voltage first? I'm quite new to a lot of this but I'm watching tons of videos learning quickly. Just finished the "How to kill Your CPU with "Safe" Voltages". Great video. I'm now looking at an LLC video. I'm going to try and find 1usmus Ryzen memory tuning now.

Oof. Corsair Vengeance with Hynix M Die (similar to CJR/DJR).

Going to need a full manual configuration for that one because Corsair always makes the SPD tables too aggressive for Ryzen.

Download the 1USMUS DRAM tool. Look up the "safe" settings. I can pretty much guarantee tRFC will need loosened up.

If it's something you don't feel like bothering with, just get G.Skill FlareX or GEIL EVO Spears. They are matched to Ryzen (loose timings by default).

Aug 20, 2020
Oof. Corsair Vengeance with Hynix M Die (similar to CJR/DJR).

Going to need a full manual configuration for that one because Corsair always makes the SPD tables too aggressive for Ryzen.

Download the 1USMUS DRAM tool. Look up the "safe" settings. I can pretty much guarantee tRFC will need loosened up.

If it's something you don't feel like bothering with, just get G.Skill FlareX or GEIL EVO Spears. They are matched to Ryzen (loose timings by default).

Is the DRAM calc tool v1.7.3 ok for 3rd gen processors? At the bottom it mentioned its ok for 1st and 2nd gen ryzen processors. I think I will try to mess with some of this stuff

Is the DRAM calc tool v1.7.3 ok for 3rd gen processors? At the bottom it mentioned its ok for 1st and 2nd gen ryzen processors. I think I will try to mess with some of this stuff

You got it. It's not going to be totally accurate but it will get you into the ballpark of optimal settings. His guide that he wrote is what I found most interesting where he talks about the various motherboard topologies and how you can change around the termination resistances manually to compensate for much.