[SOLVED] Ram DDR5 intel 12gen

b22222c

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2014
Hi, i want to buy the 12gen intel system, i choose the processor, board etc but i cant see Ram ddr5 on sale... How people is mounting a system on 12gen intel without ram ddr5? Thanks

Solution
They get test memory if using DDR5 in a test setup. Give it a little time, things are shipping slower than usual but this memory will come via air and the cost will prove that. I'm watching for the G.Skill.

b22222c

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2014
Because there's both DDR4 and DDR5 12th gen boards.
You can only pick one or the other. They don't support both; the 'dividers' are in different spots.
Ok. But do you buy a system with all the latest tech and buy a board with ddr4? And after 3 months you want to upgrade to ddr5 and you need to replace the board and the ram... Not a easy choice

USAFRet

Titan
Ok. But do you buy a system with all the latest tech and buy a board with ddr4? And after 3 months you want to upgrade to ddr5 and you need to replace the board and the ram... Not a easy choice
12th Gen CPUs don't even go on sale until next week.

Initial DDR5 performance won't be any better than current DDR4. This same thing happened with DDR3 and DDR4. It took a while before DDR4 was 'faster'.

Patience....

b22222c

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2014
Depends on your experiences, I suppose.
I'll gladly wait until Raptor Lake(whatever the 2nd one is going to be called) and Zen 4 gen 2.
When zen4 gen2 will be released? I supposed this generation will be the 5000 series sucessor right?
If it will be released early next year it will be the perfect time to upgrade a system because ddr5 will be more available...

g-unit1111

Titan
When zen4 gen2 will be released? I supposed this generation will be the 5000 series sucessor right?
If it will be released early next year it will be the perfect time to upgrade a system because ddr5 will be more available...

Yeah I think a lot of this is unknown at the moment. The thing is if you're waiting for the right time to buy parts, there never really is a "right time". New CPUs and motherboards and GPUs are always going to be coming down the pike. Right now is not a good time to buy because of supply chain issues but that should hopefully be fixed in the next few months.

aewhistory

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2014
Because there's both DDR4 and DDR5 12th gen boards.
You can only pick one or the other. They don't support both; the 'dividers' are in different spots.

are there any boards you might suggest that can offer both? I’ve looked around for some info and I didn’t find much discussion of these boards…. Or I don’t know where to look which is the likely answer.

thanks!

aewhistory

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2014
The physical slots are different. On purpose.
Every DDR generation, the slot and separator changes a bit, to prevent putting the wrong one in.

I get it, but thank you. When DDR2 went over to DDR3 they offered two different sets of slots (I think it was the switch from 2 to 3, maybe it was 1 to 2? I have a couple of the boards downstairs if you’re interested in knowing more). I assumed we were talking the same thing. Maybe no one is doing that, but I’ve seen this idea mentioned a few times on forums but I don’t see anyone ever recommend an actual board.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I get it, but thank you. When DDR2 went over to DDR3 they offered two different sets of slots (I think it was the switch from 2 to 3, maybe it was 1 to 2? I have a couple of the boards downstairs if you’re interested in knowing more). I assumed we were talking the same thing. Maybe no one is doing that, but I’ve seen this idea mentioned a few times on forums but I don’t see anyone ever recommend an actual board.
I have seen them (edit the old boards)I don't think you will see that again.

aewhistory

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2014
I have seen them (edit the old boards)I don't think you will see that again.

Okay, I think I misunderstood what phaaze meant when he said there were DDR4 and DDR5 boards. I did some poking around and I suspect this is a Biostar phenomenon. Here is an article where they did the same thing again in the DDR3 to DDR4 switchover. Is biostar still around? I suppose they might do it again, but I suspect you’re right zerk, we probably won’t see this again. I didn’t realize this was merely a one company idea but now that I think about it I am almost sure that my boards downstairs are biostars.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Okay, I think I misunderstood what phaaze meant when he said there were DDR4 and DDR5 boards. I did some poking around and I suspect this is a Biostar phenomenon. Here is an article where they did the same thing again in the DDR3 to DDR4 switchover. Is biostar still around? I suppose they might do it again, but I suspect you’re right zerk, we probably won’t see this again. I didn’t realize this was merely a one company idea but now that I think about it I am almost sure that my boards downstairs are biostars.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1697...overview-over-50-new-models-with-ddr5-support

Think you you need to pick this time one or the other.

aewhistory

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2014

Thanks so very much! I will probably simply get a DDR4 board with a 1700 slot when I have the money unless the price of DDR5 drops precipitously. In the meantime I have gone ahead and looked at Biostar. You are right, they don’t offer a dual memory board as they did in the past. I wrote them to ask if they might in the future, but I won’t hold my breath. If I find they do have something interesting to report I will be sure to post here and let everyone know.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, for that change, it was a short term thing. And only one type at a time. You couldn't run both at the same time.

I've not seen one for DDR4 and 5.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks so very much! I will probably simply get a DDR4 board with a 1700 slot when I have the money unless the price of DDR5 drops precipitously. In the meantime I have gone ahead and looked at Biostar. You are right, they don’t offer a dual memory board as they did in the past. I wrote them to ask if they might in the future, but I won’t hold my breath. If I find they do have something interesting to report I will be sure to post here and let everyone know.
It will probably take DDR5 close to a year to catch up with the current DDR4 unless something changes this time that has not in the past.

I was running my DDR3 @ 2400 with 11 cas took a good bit of time for DDR4 to actually catch up to that.

TRENDING THREADS