RAM detected but not enabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkih0021

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Hi all,
I was running a set of two 2GB gskill RAM (F3-12800CL9-2GBNQ), and decided to get another set.
After a bit of fumbling, I managed to get all 8GB RAM working with XMP off, RAM clocks set manually, and voltage increased to 1.6V
That was yesterday, and just now it stopped working.
BIOS and Windows both says 8GB RAM inserted, but only 4GB enabled
So I tried different combinations of RAM and slots, and these slots seem to be failing.
The RAM inserted there arnt enabled (even if there's only two inserted as dual channel), and trying to use the two slots gives me a post error (bad RAM connection)

Specs:
i5 760k (no OC)
GA-P55-USB3L
2 sets of 2 sticks of gskill F3-12800CL9-2GBNQ for a total of 8GB

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
run memtest individually on each slot that way you can get to the bottom of the slot issue - if it is the slots than RMA. period!

5 passes on each dimm w/o errors is enough to qualify the dimms to be in working order. each time you encounter an error postage on that particular slot, rule it out by suing another dimm on it. If its consistent than yeah - RMA.

jkih0021

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
I tried different combinations, so Im pretty sure theres nothing wrong with the RAM themselves
It seems that the slots are faulty, since the RAM that's put there dont work, while the other two do

A 32bit OS can address 4 gig of memory. Without over simplifying this too much, people forget that there is more memory in a given system than just the amount of installed RAM. This memory must be assigned address space as well, leaving whatever is left over available for addressing as RAM. That is usually anywhere from 3 to 3.5gig depending on the configuration of the system.

Lutfij

Titan
run memtest individually on each slot that way you can get to the bottom of the slot issue - if it is the slots than RMA. period!

5 passes on each dimm w/o errors is enough to qualify the dimms to be in working order. each time you encounter an error postage on that particular slot, rule it out by suing another dimm on it. If its consistent than yeah - RMA.

Solution

jkih0021

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
I dont know that much about memtest, so Im not sure how to check one slot at a time
If you mean I should run memtest with ram in one slot at a time, I cant since I cant get past post if im only using the 2 suspect slots

jkih0021

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Just wanted to make sure since im not that good with these things heh
Also, I dont have a second computer so I'll have to wait until winter to get this fixed
Taking computer sciences so I have to code often, and the school doesnt have a computer lab (more accurately, had one but then removed it cuz everyone started bringing their own)

Also, how do I do RMA, exactly?
Do I just go to the guy I got the rig from and tell him something's wrong?
I tried looking up in the Gigabyte website, and it just says "contact vendor" (I live in Korea)

Status
Not open for further replies.