RAM diagnostic tools? 1 stick of RAM isn't posting.

theEmbark

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016
Hey guys,

I have 6 x 8gb sticks of crucial ballistix sport RAM installed but the system is only showing 40gbs of RAM. Is there a diagnostic tool that includes RAM slot info? I've tried a couple system info tools but they didn't have it.

Can you still run this from CMD like you could in xp?

Thanks,
Kevin

theEmbark

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016

Thanks Weber,

So I looked around and found the command I was thinking:
wmic MEMORYCHIP get BankLabel,DeviceLocator,Capacity,Tag

In finding it I also found a piece of software to read the slot number: CPU-Z

The problem is interpolating the way they see the slots. So I have dual CPUs so I have to slot banks. I have always seem them as 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7,8,9,10,11,12 respectively. With this logic slots 1,3,5,7,9,11 should be filled.

CPU-Z sees slot 1,4,10. Which doesn't make sense to me... It could be seeing each channel? Anyways I may just go to the pull and pray method :D was just hoping by this point someone had come up with a way to see that kind of data.

theEmbark

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016

Thanks! I forgot about memtest :). Running it now. Clearly something is up because it only sees 24gbs too but we will see once it's done.

I bought 3 sets of paired RAM. So 3 x 2 packs of 8gb RAM all same make and model. I've probably got an hour left on this test but will see them.

It's a shame it won't run from USB 3.0 :/.

Thanks,
Kevin

theEmbark

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016

So I ran memtest but I'm not seeing the slot information. Do you know where to access it?

Thanks,
Kevin