Question RAM failed memtest86 then passed

Apr 3, 2023
Had multiple bluescreens pointing me towards the ram. Ran windows memory diagnostic and it said there was an issue. Ran memtest86, one stick passed and the other had 400+ errors. Tested again today, pc works fine and no errors found on either stick.

I’ve already returned and replaced both the ram and motherboard before due to bluescreens.

If you've already had the motherboard and memory replaced and you still have the same problem you had before, then I'd lean towards there being a problem with the CPU or something isn't mounted right in the case and is getting shorted. Like a standoff in the wrong place or something.

What are your FULL system specs including exact models for power supply, CPU, motherboard, memory kit (Exact kit model or models if more than one kit, even if the same part number), graphics card, etc.?

What is your currently installed motherboard BIOS version?

Apr 3, 2023
CPU: Ryzen 7 7600
Motherboard: MSI B650M-A
Ram: Corsair vengeance 5600 C36 (2x16gb)
SSD: Samsung 980 pro
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 Super
PSU:EVGA 600BR
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends International, LLC. 1.82, 28/04/2023
I've just updated the BIOS, the CPU is new, and for now everything is working fine. It's just strange that the RAM issues are intermittent.

So, after updating the BIOS, does it pass Memtest86 and Windows memory diagnostic or are there still intermittent stability issues?

One thing is for certain, you have a power supply that is far below the quality of the rest of the build. Those BR units are much the same as the B1, B3, N1 and W1 in terms of lower quality internal components and sloppy internal build quality (Cheap outdated platform, sloppy soldering, not great layout for cooling, etc.). If yours has a few miles on it meaning it's a year or more old, then that alone might account for some intermittent issues and instabilities.

It might be helpful to install HWinfo (NOT HWmonitor, Open monitor, or any other monitoring utility) and take a screenshot of the system voltages (12v, 5v, 3v) while it's under a load and post that here.

D

Deleted member 2947362

So, after updating the BIOS, does it pass Memtest86 and Windows memory diagnostic or are there still intermittent stability issues?

One thing is for certain, you have a power supply that is far below the quality of the rest of the build. Those BR units are much the same as the B1, B3, N1 and W1 in terms of lower quality internal components and sloppy internal build quality (Cheap outdated platform, sloppy soldering, not great layout for cooling, etc.). If yours has a few miles on it meaning it's a year or more old, then that alone might account for some intermittent issues and instabilities.

It might be helpful to install HWinfo (NOT HWmonitor, Open monitor, or any other monitoring utility) and take a screenshot of the system voltages (12v, 5v, 3v) while it's under a load and post that here.

I was reading in the forums that someone had a ram and motherboard issue and it ended being a faulty CPU which has now been replaced, I just mention this as he mentions he has replace the motherboard and RAM.

Of course the CPU can almost always be to blame for just about any problem you might see, however, aside from incidents involving known user error (Like dropping the CPU on the floor, or bending pins on the CPU/motherboard, or some other form of user caused grief), it is pretty rare to see a CPU simply "go bad" or "fail". It happens, but man, it's really not common at all. Compared to all other problems that can happen with hardware, a failed CPU is probably the very least of them all. But I agree, it can and does happen from time to time so never rule anything out until you've actually ruled it out.