[SOLVED] Ram failure

leonquest

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
Hi,

I was hoping someone could read these for me, specially the second pic.

My PC stopped booting a few weeks ago, so I decided to troubleshoot the hell out of it on friday night. First I removed the video card, then tested the motherboard using the on board video with each ram stick, one by one.

After this, the PC was able to boot, however I noticed some red lines on the screen with both ram sticks, so I thought the ram was bad, but then the pc wouldn't boot to windows, it would freeze on the bootup logo. So I tried doing windows recovery and after doing a system restore point, I gave up, and it somehow booted again after a while of me forgetting it was on.

I changed the ram sticks on the slots several times until the red lines, dissapeared, so I left the PC on running some tests. Then after a while of using it, I received the first error below. So I put the second ram stick and video card back in, and tested the hard drive using hdd regenrator, 0 issues. Then I tested the ram with memtest, second pic below, but according to that screen my ram is faulty however the PC has been stable since that test, and it was on and working for hours. I turned it on sunday, no issues, I was able to do some tasks on it, even tested a game on it for several hours, then I left it on all night downloading stuff, no issues.

I will confess that my PC needs an urgent cleaning with soap and water (IPA may not be enough), but still, it has been behaving in a very weird way.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

My specs:
CPU: FX-6300 no OC
MB: Gygabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
RAM: 2x sticks of 4GB each, Kingston
Video: Gygabyte GTX 960
HDD: 1

bgOglPs.jpg

L2UuHNc.jpg

Solution
In regards to the BSOD - please see this guide that can help you give us some more useful information: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/

Additionally, the BSOD you posted states a Bugcheck 7E (SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED) with the nvlddmkm.sys driver in the stack, this is an NVIDIA Video driver. Are these up to date? Have you had any previous GPUs either?

Also, the only amount of errors acceptable in a memtest is 0. Even 1 memtest error indicates RAM that needs to be replaced (which can be done under warranty). Even if you don't feel a problem now, it will undoubtedly be causing problems whether you see them or not, or in the future.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
In regards to the BSOD - please see this guide that can help you give us some more useful information: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/

Additionally, the BSOD you posted states a Bugcheck 7E (SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED) with the nvlddmkm.sys driver in the stack, this is an NVIDIA Video driver. Are these up to date? Have you had any previous GPUs either?

Also, the only amount of errors acceptable in a memtest is 0. Even 1 memtest error indicates RAM that needs to be replaced (which can be done under warranty). Even if you don't feel a problem now, it will undoubtedly be causing problems whether you see them or not, or in the future.

Reactions: leonquest
Solution

leonquest

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015

Thank you very much.

I've since installed an older Nvidia driver and fixed a crashing issue with a specific game.

I will test each ram stick to isolate the faulty one and replace it, but my MB certainly needs some cleaning, it's acting up really weird.

Reactions: PC Tailor