Ram faster than mobo

vill4geidi0t

Prominent
Oct 8, 2018
Hi I accidentally bought ram that appears to be faster than my motherboard can support. I have an msi b450m m-2 and my ram is ddr4 with 3000mhz. Is there any way I can get it into bios and then use x amp to OC the ram? At this point it won't even boot.

Oct 10, 2018
What are you talking about?

Your motherboard indeed support memory speed until 3466Mhz MSI Motherboard Link

All AM4 B350/B450 Supports DDR4 3000Mhz.

If you mean your memory is recognized with only 2100 -2400Mhz and not at full Speed, Then yes you need to activate XMP Profile. Since by default the bios limits the ram to default speeds to avoid Boot problems. If activating XMP give you boots problems you can try to set the Memory speed Manually. Most probably you will get it to work with 2999Mhz.

Oct 10, 2018

Then you probably got a faulty ram, or your ram is not in your Motherboards QVL

If you buy dual sticks(2x4GB, 2x8GB or 2x16GB) then try putting just 1 stick, swapping them to check if one is faulty, If you buy Single Stick them probably there's some compatibility Issues or the ram is faulty and you should RMA the RAM.

What's your Memory? and CPU?

vill4geidi0t

Prominent
Oct 8, 2018
That appears to be the case. However it has the same voltage and specs as all the other memory on there. CPU is ryzen 5 2600 ram is Patriot Memory VIPER 4 Series 3000MHz (PC4 24000) 8GB Dual Channel DDR4 Kit PV48G300C6K.

I've tried installing the sticks one at a time in both slots with no luck.

That doesn't necessarily ensure that the BIOS settings won't have something configured wrong. Simply unplug the computer, short the Clear CMOS jumper pins with something metal for 10 seconds or so, and see if that helps at all.

Also, are there any debug LEDs lit up anywhere on that board? It sounds like there should be some near various components that might light up to better indicate what component may be causing the error.

TRENDING THREADS