Question ram faulty?

luka1000

Honorable
Aug 26, 2017
Hi there my pc randomly started blue screening and resetting after some time I figured it might be the ram. So I took out 2 sticks seeing as I have 4x8gb and then I had no problems. I then slowly removed 1 stick and a time and replaced them with the 2 I assumed where broken and no problems. but when I put all 4 sticks in my computer has the same problem could it possible be a motherboard problem? I have corsair vengeance rgb pro ram had 2 x16gb from 2 years ago and the other 2 from about a year ago. I also have it at 3000 mhz instead of 3600

Lutfij

Titan
Are the specs to your system listed in your sig space? If so, please find it in your heart to parse them in your thread's body. Reasoning behind that is sig space specs can and will cange over time. When that does happen any solutions offered on this thread will be moot to the community/user who is in the same boat as you're in now.

Please list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

As for your ram related issue, what BIOS version are you working with at the time of writing? Include the version of your OS as well. If you yet have the packaging for the ram kits, might want to see what revision they're on.

Hi there my pc randomly started blue screening and resetting after some time I figured it might be the ram. So I took out 2 sticks seeing as I have 4x8gb and then I had no problems. I then slowly removed 1 stick and a time and replaced them with the 2 I assumed where broken and no problems. but when I put all 4 sticks in my computer has the same problem could it possible be a motherboard problem? I have corsair vengeance rgb pro ram had 2 x16gb from 2 years ago and the other 2 from about a year ago. I also have it at 3000 mhz instead of 3600
Mixing RAM kits as you have is not a good idea due to probable variations in Latency and frequency.
Yes they sometimes work but you take a risk and sooner or later you will encounter issues. It will confuse your Bios and put extra strain on the IMC creating instability.
If they did work, they will work at the lowest of the two frequencies.

Do not mix RAM as you have. Just use the (2x16) kit that works as that will be plenty of memory for AAA Gaming and most applications.

Last edited:

luka1000

Honorable
Aug 26, 2017
Mixing RAM kits as you have is not a good idea due to probable variations in Latency and frequency.
Yes they sometimes work but you take a risk and sooner or later you will encounter issues. It will confuse your Bios and put extra strain on the IMC creating instability.
If they did work, they will work at the lowest of the two frequencies.

Do not mix RAM as you have. Just use the (2x16) kit that works as that will be plenty of memory for AAA Gaming and most applications.
ya thats the point where i am at i just thought after 1 year i was okay. but as you said sooner then later is might catch up with me and it did so at this point i think it is my motherboard that has a problem not my ram do you think i should get a hole new motherboard or just buy 2x16gb if i really want 32gb?

I wouldn't go and buy a new motherboard unless the one you have Warrants an RMA. As you explained in your original post, A (4x8) combo worked so the MB slots are functional.
The mixing of RAM kits was the issue so yes if you need 32GB then get a single kit at a frequency the MB and CPU supports. Chosen from the MB QVL. That way you know they have been tested and known to work. (y)

ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING supports up to 3200Mhz and so does your 3700x CPU.

Here is your QVL: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...G/Memory_QVL_3rd_Gen_AMD_Ryzen_Processors.pdf
I can recommend a good kit if you wish. just mention your prefered brand.

Last edited:

luka1000

Honorable
Aug 26, 2017
I wouldn't go and buy a new motherboard unless the one you have Warrants an RMA. As you explained in your original post, A (4x8) combo worked so the MB slots are functional.
The mixing of RAM kits was the issue so yes if you need 32GB then get a single kit at a frequency the MB and CPU supports. Chosen from the MB QVL. That way you know they have been tested and known to work. (y)

ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING supports up to 3200Mhz and so does your 3700x CPU.

Here is your QVL: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...G/Memory_QVL_3rd_Gen_AMD_Ryzen_Processors.pdf
I can recommend a good kit if you wish. just mention your prefered brand.
when you say mixing ram I have all the same ram I just bought them at different times. there both ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO

when you say mixing ram I have all the same ram I just bought them at different times. there both ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO

It's essentially the Silicon in the chip that have slight variations in density.
When DIMMs are manufactured they are binned into matching kits. Even RAM with exactly the same specs can mismatch and manufacturers warn you of this.

Also some manufacturers such as Corsair use Hynix or Samsung chips done for commercial reasons.
Ryzen is picky and Samsung B-Die seem to work best with the Infinity Fabric and so you pay a little more for the Lower CL.

luka1000

Honorable
Aug 26, 2017
It's essentially the Silicon in the chip that have slight variations in density.
When DIMMs are manufactured they are binned into matching kits. Even RAM with exactly the same specs can mismatch and manufacturers warn you of this.

Also some manufacturers such as Corsair use Hynix or Samsung chips done for commercial reasons.
Ryzen is picky and Samsung B-Die seem to work best with the Infinity Fabric and so you pay a little more for the Lower CL.
that link you sent for the qvl is for the b450-e do you have one for the b450-f?

They are the same for B450E and B450F. Over time the QVL is updated due to new RAM releases and so you should update your Bios and chipset.

For a (2x16) combo there is not a great deal of choice for tested RAM.

Corsair CMU32GX4M2C3200C16(Ver5.39) are tested and known to work.
CMD32GX4M2B3000C15(Ver4.31) are tested and known to work.

G.Skill have an excellent kit at CL15 at 3000Mhz and Samsung B-die.
G.Skill F4-3000C15D-32GVR

luka1000

Honorable
Aug 26, 2017
They are the same for B450E and B450F. Over time the QVL is updated due to new RAM releases and so you should update your Bios and chipset.

For a (2x16) combo there is not a great deal of choice for tested RAM.

Corsair CMU32GX4M2C3200C16(Ver5.39) are tested and known to work.
CMD32GX4M2B3000C15(Ver4.31) are tested and known to work.

G.Skill have an excellent kit at CL15 at 3000Mhz and Samsung B-die.
G.Skill F4-3000C15D-32GVR
i have ‎CMW16GX4M2D3000C16