anaigini45

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Hi,

My desktop CPU is Lenovo 6234-A92.
The Bus speed it supports is 531 Hz.
The maximum memory it supports is 8GB.
It supports DDR3 ram type.

By right, the RAM specification that is suitable for the desktop is PC3 8500.
However, most computer shops do not have this RAM spec available.
Therefore, after reading about the behaviour of PC3 RAMs, I have come to know, that they are backward compatible among the same type (DDR3 or PC3 RAM types).

Therefore, I purchased 4 pieces of 2GB PC3 10600 RAMs for the CPU.

Unfortunately, the CPU beeps a few times when it is turned on. This does not happen when the previous RAMs (the old one before upgrade) were used.

So is it ok to continue using this RAM type? PC3 10600?

Thanks,
ana

satyamdubey

Distinguished
how many beeps exactly? if you can use your pc with only the exception of it beeping with new rams them you might be okay as pc3 8500 and 10600 both run on the same voltage requirements.

I am just interested in the beep that you are hearing.

satyamdubey

Distinguished
well you have to be exact with number of beeps coz those are beep codes through which your BIOS indicates if there's any issue when it performs POST. Also when you boot up can you see which BIOS it is, Award, American Megatrends, Phoenix

anaigini45

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Well the beep goes like 1-3-3-1. I assume this is the Phoenix BIOS beep code : 28 Autosize DRAM?

So what can I do about this issue?

To confirm that the new RAM was the main cause of the issue, I removed all the new RAM pieces, and inserted the old RAM piece, and powered on the computer, and there was no beep sound.

Is there anyway that the motherboard has to be replaced??

satyamdubey

Distinguished
Autosize DRAM indicates ram incompatibility. Your mobo is having problem initializing the ram or detecting the corect size or speed. Are you sure, your mobo supports the new ram speeds? I assume you have gone through the QVL (qualified vendor list). Probably nothing that you can do about it.
If you can still enter windows then it just probably means that your rams will be running at lower speeds but do check the total size that is being shown. At this time I would also do memory testing with memtest 86.
I tried but failed to locate mobo specs on that think center and so I am unable to verify the ram speeds your mobo is designed to handle.

anaigini45

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

According to the technical specifications for Lenovo 6234, the motherboard only supports RAM with 1066 MHz speed, DDR3 type. The maximum memory that can be allotted is 8GB.

However, mine is DDR3 1333 MHz. I believe this is the problem. That is why I am asking should I upgrade my motherboard to a newer model?? Is this possible?

And, I can't even enter Windows. The blank screen just shows Power Saving mode.

satyamdubey

Distinguished
which cpu are you using? and if you were to go for an upgrade, how much budget can you have. Asking this because depending on your response, we can suggest you whether it's worth the money to just upgrade the mobo or if you can do better with a cpu+mobo deal.

share your pc specs with us.

satyamdubey

Distinguished
honestly, it won't be worth it to upgrade the mobo. You can no doubt get some deals on ebay, but it would be better to upgrade the mobo+cpu combo for starters. depending on your usage like gaming or rendering/video editing or HTPC and an estimated budget we can come up with some suggestions.
you wont get good deals off newegg. An option: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130675
but that wont let you use all four DIMMS. and it is $60

anaigini45

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
I live in Malaysia, and is it possible/logical to get it shipped over here??

Would our local computer shops have those?

Well the upgrade is for office use, and not for any gaming or rendering/video editing or HTPC.

It is to install Datastage server, which in turn will be used to communicate with the SAM server. Inventory and performance file will be retrieved from the SAM server to the Datastage server. This is called the SAM logtofile Project in our office.

satyamdubey

Distinguished
Malaysia is far better market in terms of tech availability than most other places in Asia. And if I can get all those part in India, have no doubt you'll get everything there :). Intel has two assembly sites in Malaysia (Kulim and Penang). So you will get the parts from local vendors.

anaigini45

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Thank you for your suggestion. However, why do you say that there is no point upgrading the motherboard, and you suggest to upgrade mobo+cpu combo??

Doesn't upgrading the mobo means upgrading the cpu also together??

Also, the link that you have provided for the Intel mobo+CPU combo upgrade shows like there are only 2 RAM slots available there. Is this true or are my eyes deceiving me?

satyamdubey

Distinguished
no your eyes are not deceiving you. I made those suggestions to set an example assuming that this was a personal computer. For the two ram slot mobo design, again apologies (having a bad day I guess :)). Now as for upgrading the mobo goes, you can retain your current cpu but opt for a mobo that can natively support higher speed rams and may also offer chances of overclocking and may be faster SATA 6gb/s ports.

depending on their features and price range, different mobo's with same sockets can indeed have budget to extreme enthusiast level performance. Since your's is LGA 775 cpu, your mobo has 775 socket and pc38500 ram support, you can move to a 775 socket mobo with native 1333 MHz ram support.

satyamdubey

Distinguished
here is an example of a 4 ram slot board: http://ark.intel.com/products/34683/Intel-Desktop-Board-DP45SG
here it is retailing on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-BLKDP45SG-DP45SG-ATX-DDR3-LGA775-New-Bulk-Desktop-Board-W-Accessories-/380455543390?pt=Motherboards&hash=item5894eae25e

Now locating such an old board would be difficult and that is reason that I am suggesting you to upgrade your mobo and cpu both to more recent ones. Also the $75 (shipping included)dollars one has to pay for a 775 mobo with 8 GB ram support for server would get you a newer tech B75 mobo like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128555
with 32 GB ram support. but that board will not support your cpu so you must get a 1155 socket cpu.

TRENDING THREADS