[SOLVED] Ram for laptop which one and how much? pls help

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
hey so i buy new laptop and I + the store guys we thought the laptop have 2x8 gb ram but when i got home and install windwos etc... install cpuz and open taskmanager i see i have 1x16gb ram so single channel... i want to have dualchanel but i dont know what to do know... i dont wanna sell this new ram and buy 2x8gb.... what about 2x16gb is it worth it or can i put 8gb ram in there? to have 1x16 + 1x8gb ram in total of 24gb? will work good together? what to do guys pls help... i know the dualchanel is better then singel but for how much idk...pls tell me help thanks

Solution
Acer nitro 5 2020 an515-55-76xc yes it have 2ram slots... i ask do you prefer 2x8gb or 2x16gb or 16+8gb or leave it as it is... becouse if i buy 2x8 myb i will need more ram in the future then agan need to sell and buy more ram but if i put another 16/8gb i think it will be enaugh or just leave it as it is... what you think?prefer? Pls your honest opinion? Thanks
Considering the specs of the laptop and assuming the module is running at the max ram speed the CPU allows, you may not even need to buy another module if it's already running fast enough for your needs. If you were going to buy more ram, I would lean more toward suggesting 2x16GB if it's your main system and only if you also use it for productivity work that requires...
hey so i buy new laptop and I + the store guys we thought the laptop have 2x8 gb ram but when i got home and install windwos etc... install cpuz and open taskmanager i see i have 1x16gb ram so single channel... i want to have dualchanel but i dont know what to do know... i dont wanna sell this new ram and buy 2x8gb.... what about 2x16gb is it worth it or can i put 8gb ram in there? to have 1x16 + 1x8gb ram in total of 24gb? will work good together? what to do guys pls help... i know the dualchanel is better then singel but for how much idk...pls tell me help thanks
What is the laptop model? Does it actually have more than one ram slot?

If you installed an 8GB module in addition to the 16GB for 24GB, the laptop would run in hybrid ram mode, so that the first 16GB is dual channel and past 16GB it drops all the ram down to single channel speed. This is assuming that it will work without issues. You need to make sure you get as close as possible to the specs of the original 16GB module.

Reactions: Matoo69

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
Acer nitro 5 2020 an515-55-76xc yes it have 2ram slots... i ask do you prefer 2x8gb or 2x16gb or 16+8gb or leave it as it is... becouse if i buy 2x8 myb i will need more ram in the future then agan need to sell and buy more ram but if i put another 16/8gb i think it will be enaugh or just leave it as it is... what you think?prefer? Pls your honest opinion? Thanks

What is the laptop model? Does it actually have more than one ram slot?

If you installed an 8GB module in addition to the 16GB for 24GB, the laptop would run in hybrid ram mode, so that the first 16GB is dual channel and past 16GB it drops all the ram down to single channel speed. This is assuming that it will work without issues. You need to make sure you get as close as possible to the specs of the original 16GB module.

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
Matoo, if your new laptop only had an integrated GPU then dual-channel RAM would help a great deal with performance. However, your new laptop has a discrete GPU with its own RAM so upgrading may not give you a noticeable performance boost.

To guarantee the best dual-channel performance, RAM should be purchased in kits where the modules are guaranteed to be identical, so ideally you should remove the installed RAM and install 2X8GB or 2X16GB modules. If however you want to add a 16GB module then make sure its specifications (speed, latency, number of chips and sides etc) are identical to the existing one for the best chance of compatibility and performance.

However, if you're very happy with your laptop's performance and you're getting good FPS in games then the best advice is to do nothing.

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
Matoo, if your new laptop only had an integrated GPU then dual-channel RAM would help a great deal with performance. However, your new laptop has a discrete GPU with its own RAM so upgrading may not give you a noticeable performance boost.

To guarantee the best dual-channel performance, RAM should be purchased in kits where the modules are guaranteed to be identical, so ideally you should remove the installed RAM and install 2X8GB or 2X16GB modules. If however you want to add a 16GB module then make sure its specifications (speed, latency, number of chips and sides etc) are identical to the existing one for the best chance of compatibility and performance.

However, if you're very happy with your laptop's performance and you're getting good FPS in games then the best advice is to do nothing.

Thanks eh i dont think so i will sell and buy 2x8gb i rather keep it that way and myb i buy another 16gb this 32gb ram will be myb overkill but if i have 2x8 and then wanna upgrade like 1/2years i must sell ram tu buy new etc... for now is good thanks

Considering the specs of the laptop and assuming the module is running at the max ram speed the CPU allows, you may not even need to buy another module if it's already running fast enough for your needs. If you were going to buy more ram, I would lean more toward suggesting 2x16GB if it's your main system and only if you also use it for productivity work that requires more than 16GB of ram. Otherwise, 2x8GB would be the best overall option to avoid incompatibility from mixing another module with your 16GB. In the future, when games may require more than 16GB, the GTX 1650 in the laptop would likely be too slow for the extra ram to matter.

If you really think you need more than 16GB, get either an 8GB or 16GB module to add in. If that doesn't work, return it for a refund or an exchange with a different single or dual module kit. This means you will need to make sure you can get at least a refund from where you are buying the module.

Personally I would just get an 8GB module to add to the original, because it should still work in hybrid mode with dual channel up to 16GB and I would be using my desktop system for production work that would require more than 16GB. If I had a problem with the new ram, I know I could usually diagnose any issues if it doesn't work as expected.

In CPU-Z, open the SPD tab to get the brand, part number and XMP settings of the module you have, so you can buy a matching module or something close. Also, check the memory tab for the current speed and timing of the module you have to see if XMP is enabled or if the DRAM frequency is 2933MT/s (1466MHz).

Solution

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
Considering the specs of the laptop and assuming the module is running at the max ram speed the CPU allows, you may not even need to buy another module if it's already running fast enough for your needs. If you were going to buy more ram, I would lean more toward suggesting 2x16GB if it's your main system and only if you also use it for productivity work that requires more than 16GB of ram. Otherwise, 2x8GB would be the best overall option to avoid incompatibility from mixing another module with your 16GB. In the future, when games may require more than 16GB, the GTX 1650 in the laptop would likely be too slow for the extra ram to matter.

If you really think you need more than 16GB, get either an 8GB or 16GB module to add in. If that doesn't work, return it for a refund or an exchange with a different single or dual module kit. This means you will need to make sure you can get at least a refund from where you are buying the module.

Personally I would just get an 8GB module to add to the original, because it should still work in hybrid mode with dual channel up to 16GB and I would be using my desktop system for production work that would require more than 16GB. If I had a problem with the new ram, I know I could usually diagnose any issues if it doesn't work as expected.

In CPU-Z, open the SPD tab to get the brand, part number and XMP settings of the module you have, so you can buy a matching module or something close. Also, check the memory tab for the current speed and timing of the module you have to see if XMP is enabled or if the DRAM frequency is 2933MT/s (1466MHz).

hey thanks,i would ratther buy to have 2x16gb ram and on cmd shows ram speed 3200 but on cpuz 2933mhz... and i dont have 1650 i have i7 10750h with rtx 2060

hey thanks,i would ratther buy to have 2x16gb ram and on cmd shows ram speed 3200 but on cpuz 2933mhz... and i dont have 1650 i have i7 10750h with rtx 2060
I got the wrong model when looking up the laptop, but it had the same specs, but wrong GPU. Just make sure you use CPU-Z SPD tab to get the part number of the module the laptop came with so you can try to buy another of that model. You might have trouble finding a module that will work correctly at 2933, so you may be better off buying a 2x16GB 2933-3200 kit like this one that should automatically overclock to 2933. https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX429S17IBK2_32.pdf

https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Kingston-Technology-HX424S14IBK2-32/dp/B07BGLBZBK