Ram for MSI 6119?

crazydude

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2001
Hello. I have an MS-6119 motherboard made by MSI. I currently have 128MB of PC66 RAM and I want to get some PC100 RAM, but it seems very confusing what kind I want. I look on pricewatch and see advertisements that say "not compatible with any mobo's", and I did the crucial.com search thing and it'll cost bloody $114 for a stick of 256 MB of RAM. that is outrageous... is this thing so old that affordable RAM isn't made for it anymore??

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can use any SDRAM 168-pin DIMM you want. Even the generic PC133. In addition, you can use any PIII you want. Your motherboard supports a 133MHz FSB, so it will support even the PIII-1000EB. You can also use the PC133 at 66 if you have to. You have a good motherboard.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

crazydude

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2001
Sweet jesus, it can?!? In the manual it only gives jumper settings for 66mhz and 100mhz FSB, but strangely enough when I go to their website, it doesnt list it as a product anymore, but in the support section it says it can support an "Intel PIIIE (Coppermine, Slot 1, FSB 100) 850MHz". Soo... can it? I guess that is 100mhz FSB x 8.5 multiplier? Argh but how is that possible casue in the manual it only gives settings for up to a 8x core/bus ratio! so confusing please help!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Here's your link:
<A HREF="http://tw.msi.com.tw/showroom/mainboard/oldspec/6119.htm" target="_new">http://tw.msi.com.tw/showroom/mainboard/oldspec/6119.htm</A>
It says that the 133FSB setting is "reserved". What that means is "it's there, but because it is outside Intel's specification, we're not going to document it". You might be able to acess it in BIOS, or you might have to play around with the FSB jumpers on the motherboard to find it.

The 133 setting will overclock your AGP to 89MHz. Any GeForce2 or Radeon series cards can support that.

The reason only the 850 is listed in supported processors is that 133 is not an "officially supported" bus speed.

You do not need to set the multipliers for PIII processors, they all are internally locked for the correct multiplier. So even at the wrong setting you will get the right multiplier. So the best setting would be "autodetect" or "lock", if it's available.

I would recommend the PIII 700E on an Abit Slotket III, with a Thermaltake VolcanoII, overclocked to 933 at 133FSB. The Slotket III has voltage detection controll, so you can raise the detected voltage of the 700E to 1.75v in order to provide stability in the overclocked state.

If the VocanoII is so tall that it interferes with your memory modules, there are other coolers that work almost as well with a shorter height.

You will most likely need the newest BIOS for your motherboard in order to support Coppermine processors.

Any other questions?

The Slotket III is available for $9 at Googlegear.com

crazydude

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2001
I have no clue what speed AGP is supposed to go at... will 89mhz safely run a Geforce2 Ultra (pretty sure I'll get the Leadtek version unles otherwise advised) or maybe if I have enough $$, will it support a Geforce 3?

Thansk for all the advice and all but I still need help with the RAM... on pricewatch all i see are sticks of RAM for Athlon mobo's (and I dont really understand all that 32x64x4 and stuff so Im am pretty lost)... I am shooting to get 512MB of PC133 RAM onto this sucker without having to pay much over $120 sooo I need more of your spot-on advice please!

Thanks!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Like I said on the RAM issue, almost any standard stuff works, PC150, PC133, PC100, PC66 (ugh). When it says "works on Athlon" that simply means that it is tested to work with those sh!ty old motherboards that were "fussy" about memory. So "works with Athlon" is a good thing.
I recommend PC133 Cas2. Crucial is a good vender, I recommend 2 of these 256MB Cas2 modules <A HREF="http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.asp?imodule=CT32M64S4D7E" target="_new">http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.asp?imodule=CT32M64S4D7E</A> Total cost for 2 would be $126, shipping is free!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, and the AGP port is supposed to be 66MHz. 89MHz is well tolerated by the Geforce 2 series (inclucing MX, PRO, GTS, and Ultra) and Radeon series (including LE, VE, 32DDR, 64DDR, and AIW). It is also tolerated by other cards, but not as frequently (some TNT2 carrds will, some won't, etc).

Of all these, I would recommend the GTS of PRO at around $140, or the Radeon LE at $70.

Unfortunatley, some people are having problems with their GeForce3's when the AGP is overclocked. So I would stay with the Geforce2 or Radeon. The Ultra is also a good option, if you want to spend money.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
and if it does have a problem you cna always back down the fsb a little bit untill it works

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red> Can be a lot of fun :smile: :smile: :smile: