[SOLVED] RAM for NUC compatibility question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2020
Hi, I just bought a stick of RAM off ebay for my NUC 8I3BEH. Brand new and functioning, supposedly, pulled out of a laptop right after purchase. It's KINGSTON HyperX Impact, 8.0GB (HX424S15IB2/8), almost identical to another HyperX Impact 4GB stick I had in there.
It didn't boot. My stick still works. It has stickers covering the naughty bits, so little chance I shocked it.
So.. is there any reason why it might be incompatible with a NUC? As far as I can tell, it's pretty much the same thing I'm using.
I'm trying to get a laptop to test it in, but it'll take a while to get it done.
Thanks for any insight. ;)

Last edited:
Solution
Then in theory it should work. However, there is always the chance that it was either defective from the start, or, something is preventing it fully seating in the slot.
Apr 27, 2020
Ja, I know that it's a NUC. Just dunno what that means in terms of RAM. I've been out of the loop for ages. ;)
So which is it? 8 or 16? that's a gigantic difference and the reason I asked. :) I mean can a game my NUC can handle EVER use more than 8?

Apr 27, 2020
Why would I spend twice or four times as much, if I don't need it? I'm asking specifically about running the baddest game a NUC could possibly handle. Ja, that's a bit vague, but I'm just fishing for intelligent clues, as I have zero idea what games use anymore. Haven't gamed in 10 years, pretty much.
I'm going with at least 8 but if this stick is dead, thinking about 16. It would be stupid to buy 32 if it's just total overkill. That's €65 more.

Why would I spend twice or four times as much, if I don't need it? I'm asking specifically about running the baddest game a NUC could possibly handle. Ja, that's a bit vague, but I'm just fishing for intelligent clues, as I have zero idea what games use anymore. Haven't gamed in 10 years, pretty much.
I'm going with at least 8 but if this stick is dead, thinking about 16. It would be stupid to buy 32 if it's just total overkill. That's €65 more.
And that is precisely why simply going max from the beginning is the best way to do it. You won't be comming back later (and you will have to do that sooner or later) and replacing all of your RAM yet again (matched pairs are the only reliable way to do it). Start with 16GB.

Apr 27, 2020
I have to facepalm that, sorry. If I can only possibly ever remotely use 13 GB, what would possibly be the sense of buying 32GB? It's not like the NUC is going to get an upgrade to be able to utilize more ram down the road.
I'll grab 16, to be safe. That's not a huge price jump over 8. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.