RAM for Pentium 4

ILoveIL

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015
Hi I have an old computer powered by an Intel pentium 4 CPU 2.80 ghz
Housed in a Gigabyte 8I865GME mobo. It has a 512 mb RAM and I want it to have at least 1gb so it will run Win 10. How to know which RAM to buy? I have found this Kingston KVR667D2N5/1G DDR2 1GB. Will it fit?

Thanks.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
As Wolfshadw says, a 2x1 or 2x512 kit is the way to go. Even modern RAM of the same line/brand but not manufactured together can have trouble getting along. Trying to get a couple of very different sticks from 2004 or so to cooperate is likely to be a giant headache.

To be honest the time spent and money to run windows 10 on that old of a system would not be worth it have you considered a newer system that would benefit from the os because even if you get win 10 installed the system is probably going to run very slow.... if at all.

ILoveIL

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015
Why do you think that this computer with enough RAM won't be able to tackle with WIN 10? I reckon I would give it a try since a stick of 1 GB of RAM will be less than 20 dollars. So shall I buy a 400 MHz DDR 2 RAM stick now. Or do you think I should wait to check the current RAM stick of the computer in a couple of days to be sure?

USAFRet

Titan

I have a couple generation newer laptop, with 2GB RAM, Celeron 2.2Ghz, Win 10 x64.
It runs, but it is noticeably slower than any other system in the house.

Trying to run that on a P4 with 1GB RAM? Good luck.