[SOLVED] Ram frequency different from the motherboard.

Stefano G.

Prominent
May 31, 2022
I want to buy a ryzen 5 5600, and it is "3200mhz", and also my motherboard is"3200mhz", but the ram i want to buy is 3600mhz, is it compatible anyways? , and if it is, is it worse than normal? thanks

Solution
Motherboard ram speeds are the speed at which the motherboard will boot, allowing you to set ram overclock settings to get to the higher speed supported by the ram.
Usually 3600 speed is appropriate for ryzen.
All ram is capable of operating at a minimum speed to get you started.
Once you have picked a motherboard and processor, go to the motherboard web site.
Under support you can find a list of ram kits(aka QVL list) that have been tested.
Pick a kit you like.Similarly if you have a favorite ram vendor, they will have an app where you enter your parts and will get a list of supported kits.
Not all ram is supported by ryzen so it pays to check.

RealBeast

Titan
I want to buy a ryzen 5 5600, and it is "3200mhz", and also my motherboard is"3200mhz", but the ram i want to buy is 3600mhz, is it compatible anyways? , and if it is, is it worse than normal? thanks
Nope. Buy memory that either (or both) the motherboard and memory manufacturers list as compatible. Always buy as kits (don't expect two single sticks to work as a pair necessarily).

If you post the full model number for both the motherboard and memory kit it would get you a more complete answer though.

Motherboard ram speeds are the speed at which the motherboard will boot, allowing you to set ram overclock settings to get to the higher speed supported by the ram.
Usually 3600 speed is appropriate for ryzen.
All ram is capable of operating at a minimum speed to get you started.
Once you have picked a motherboard and processor, go to the motherboard web site.
Under support you can find a list of ram kits(aka QVL list) that have been tested.
Pick a kit you like.Similarly if you have a favorite ram vendor, they will have an app where you enter your parts and will get a list of supported kits.
Not all ram is supported by ryzen so it pays to check.

Solution