babu

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Hello, I dont really know how much these questions are
applied to this newsgroup section, but i really need it
answered... Can anyone please answer/help me:
1.What are the full form/name of:
ESCD(auto)-
PGA(370)-
DIMM-
IDE-
ATA2(IDE specification)-
ATAPI-

2.What is an EEPROM burner, what does it do??

3.I'm having a 3yrs old PC with 64mb of system RAM(SD).Now
I want to increase the RAM,so I bought another 128mb of RAM
(SD) which I want to add to the previous one so that my
total system memory becomes 64+128=192mb. But I'm afraid
if the frequencies(66MHz or 100MHz) of both the RAMs dont
match, what will be the result??? In such a case, how does
one understand that the RAMs frequencies are not
mathcing??? How to detect the frequencies of the
individual RAMs??? Please suggest..
Thanks in advance..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

1. ESCD - Extended System Configuration Data
PGA - Pin Grid Array
DIMM - Dual In-line Memory Module
ATA2 - Advanced Technology Attachment
ATAPI - AT Attachment Packet Interface
2. EPROM is Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory. It is a device that
can "burn" or program information on a type of ROM chip that is erasable. A
special type of EPROM is the "flash" memory that is used in system BIOS and
the firmware of many devices. The EPROM burner would be used to "burn" or
program erasable programmable ROM>

3. RAM. A PC can only use certain kinds of memory. Can you mix memory?
Maybe. It depends. Assuming your system can handle both PC100 and PC66 and
it's parity/non-parity, ECC/non-ECC, buffered/unbuffered in accordance with
system requirements, chances are good it can use both. However, it will only
run as fast as the slowest component, so you gain nothing from adding PC100
rather than PC66.

What will happen if the memory doesn't work with your system? Memory
problems can give a variety of symptoms that are often mistaken for other
problems. Most likely if your system doesn't like the memory, it'll refuse
to boot.

"BABU" wrote:

> Hello, I dont really know how much these questions are
> applied to this newsgroup section, but i really need it
> answered... Can anyone please answer/help me:
> 1.What are the full form/name of:
> ESCD(auto)-
> PGA(370)-
> DIMM-
> IDE-
> ATA2(IDE specification)-
> ATAPI-
>
> 2.What is an EEPROM burner, what does it do??
>
> 3.I'm having a 3yrs old PC with 64mb of system RAM(SD).Now
> I want to increase the RAM,so I bought another 128mb of RAM
> (SD) which I want to add to the previous one so that my
> total system memory becomes 64+128=192mb. But I'm afraid
> if the frequencies(66MHz or 100MHz) of both the RAMs dont
> match, what will be the result??? In such a case, how does
> one understand that the RAMs frequencies are not
> mathcing??? How to detect the frequencies of the
> individual RAMs??? Please suggest..
> Thanks in advance..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I agree with null on this. Very much looks like homework to me too.
You may want to use a tool called Google to learn a little for yourself
instead of having others do it for you. You'll remember things better
that way ;)

You are likely to miss #2 if you had gone with the answer provided. You
asked about EEPROM, not EPROM. They are different. EPROM is erased by
being exposed to ultraviolet light. EEPROM is Electrically Eraseable
Programmmable Read Only Memory. This can be erased by being exposed to
electricity. An EEPROM Burner is something that can write to this PROM
type.

As for your last question #3. You can mix and match PC66/100/133 as
long as those are supported by your motherboard. The memory will run at
the rate of the slowest stick unless you try to overclock the slower
memory to the same speed as the higher speed memory. This requires
special functions from the BIOS in order to achieve this (not to mention
good memory). These memory sticks (PC66/100) are referred to as SDRAM
or Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory. There is also DDR RAM
which is Double Data Rate RAM. These cannot be mixed even if the
motherboard supports both memory types.

----
Nathan McNulty

Kathea Banshou wrote:
> 1. ESCD - Extended System Configuration Data
> PGA - Pin Grid Array
> DIMM - Dual In-line Memory Module
> ATA2 - Advanced Technology Attachment
> ATAPI - AT Attachment Packet Interface
> 2. EPROM is Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory. It is a device that
> can "burn" or program information on a type of ROM chip that is erasable. A
> special type of EPROM is the "flash" memory that is used in system BIOS and
> the firmware of many devices. The EPROM burner would be used to "burn" or
> program erasable programmable ROM>
>
> 3. RAM. A PC can only use certain kinds of memory. Can you mix memory?
> Maybe. It depends. Assuming your system can handle both PC100 and PC66 and
> it's parity/non-parity, ECC/non-ECC, buffered/unbuffered in accordance with
> system requirements, chances are good it can use both. However, it will only
> run as fast as the slowest component, so you gain nothing from adding PC100
> rather than PC66.
>
> What will happen if the memory doesn't work with your system? Memory
> problems can give a variety of symptoms that are often mistaken for other
> problems. Most likely if your system doesn't like the memory, it'll refuse
> to boot.
>
> "BABU" wrote:
>

>>Hello, I dont really know how much these questions are
>>applied to this newsgroup section, but i really need it
>>answered... Can anyone please answer/help me:
>>1.What are the full form/name of:
>>ESCD(auto)-
>>PGA(370)-
>>DIMM-
>>IDE-
>>ATA2(IDE specification)-
>>ATAPI-
>>
>>2.What is an EEPROM burner, what does it do??
>>
>>3.I'm having a 3yrs old PC with 64mb of system RAM(SD).Now
>>I want to increase the RAM,so I bought another 128mb of RAM
>>(SD) which I want to add to the previous one so that my
>>total system memory becomes 64+128=192mb. But I'm afraid
>>if the frequencies(66MHz or 100MHz) of both the RAMs dont
>>match, what will be the result??? In such a case, how does
>>one understand that the RAMs frequencies are not
>>mathcing??? How to detect the frequencies of the
>>individual RAMs??? Please suggest..
>>Thanks in advance..

null

BABU wrote:

> Hello, I dont really know how much these questions are
> applied to this newsgroup section, but i really need it
> answered... Can anyone please answer/help me:
> 1.What are the full form/name of:
> ESCD(auto)-
> PGA(370)-
> DIMM-
> IDE-
> ATA2(IDE specification)-
> ATAPI-
>
> 2.What is an EEPROM burner, what does it do??
>
> 3.I'm having a 3yrs old PC with 64mb of system RAM(SD).Now
> I want to increase the RAM,so I bought another 128mb of RAM
> (SD) which I want to add to the previous one so that my
> total system memory becomes 64+128=192mb. But I'm afraid
> if the frequencies(66MHz or 100MHz) of both the RAMs dont
> match, what will be the result??? In such a case, how does
> one understand that the RAMs frequencies are not
> mathcing??? How to detect the frequencies of the
> individual RAMs??? Please suggest..
> Thanks in advance..

I don't know about the other people here, but I don't do student's
homework for them.

posted here.