[SOLVED] Ram Frequency Problem (BIOS Update)

TMario

Prominent
Feb 25, 2019
Greetings,

These are my PC components:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400g
GPU: AMD Radeon RX Vega 11 Graphics
MOBO: Asus Prime A320M-K
RAM: G.Skill Aegis 8GB DDR4-3000MHz (F4-3000C16S-8GISB)
Storage: SSD KINGSTON SA400S37120G
Storage: HDD TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB 3.5" SATA3
PSU: 650W

This is the BIOS version I had when I got my PC (Version 4008 2018/04/17).
My 3000mhz RAM was running at 2133mhz, so I went into the BIOS to enable the D.O.C.P profile and everything was working just fine.

Now, I updated my BIOS to the latest version (Version 4207, 2018/12/13) and lost all the settings I had (in the Bios).
The RAM was running at 2133mhz again. I went into the BIOS and enabled the D.O.C.P profile and rebooted my PC. The PC booted just fine, I logged in the system and then seconds later after I tried to run any task the screen went black and my PC rebooted. That kept happening again and again. So, I went into the Bios and changed the frequency, the voltage, and the timings manually, this time I setted the frequency at 2933mhz. The same problem happened again (Pc boots up just fine, seconds later black screen and reboot).Also, I want to note that the PC works just fine with the RAM frequency set at 2133mhz (Default).

I tried to downgrade the BIOS back to the old version, but I got this message "This is not a proper BIOS" in every older version. (I did format my USB flash drive to FAT32).
I tried using the AI Suite 3 to downgrade the BIOS and it didn't work.

Is there a way to set the RAM frequency at 3000mhz again without any problems?
Is there a way to downgrade the BIOS?

Last edited:
Since the low-end AMD A320 chipset does not support overclocking, the only thing that can be overclocked on that motherboard is the memory which serves no useful purpose. If the memory is not single rank that may cause it not to run at the speed you want.

Taking a look at the memory model's QVL, it is clear the RAM is designed for Intel based platforms. Another Ryzen user has complained that the best they could get out of it was 2733MHz (Newegg review). That may be because it uses dual rank chips which run at lower supported speed than single ranked chips on Ryzen.

Last edited:

TMario

Prominent
Feb 25, 2019
I increased the DRAM Voltage to 1.4v and everything is fine so far, RAM frequency at 2733mhz.
Is it safe though, I'm not really familiar with overclocking. (The DRAM voltage text is purple at 1.4v, yellow at 1.35v)