[SOLVED] RAM from different manufacturers.

Sep 28, 2020
Hello. I have a question regarding RAM. I'm looking to upgrade my PC's RAM and I have my eyes on a set of 8gbs modules by Ripjaws. The thing that im not certain whether it will together work with my set of 2 hyperx sticks (4gbs each). I'm aware that the faster RAM will downclock to the slowest's frequency since the hyperx ones are set at 2400mhz and the other from Ripjaws are at 3200, I just have no idea if they'll be fine together, or they'll cause my PC to not boot.

Solution
The thing that im not certain whether it will together work with my set of 2 hyperx sticks
Ultimately, no one can answer this.

Memory is sold in packs for a reason, and only the memory modules sold in the same pack are guaranteed compatibility. This is because the manufacturing process for the modules change frequently and sometimes substantially. So theoretically you could have 2 of the exact same memory modules, but from 2 different packs, that don't behave well with one another.

This is why manufacturers only guarantee compatibility in the form sold (from the same pack). Making sure that they are the same model, or timings, or latency, is just a way of trying to minimise the risk, not eliminate it.

I'm not saying it never...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The thing that im not certain whether it will together work with my set of 2 hyperx sticks

Memory is sold in packs for a reason, and only the memory modules sold in the same pack are guaranteed compatibility. This is because the manufacturing process for the modules change frequently and sometimes substantially. So theoretically you could have 2 of the exact same memory modules, but from 2 different packs, that don't behave well with one another.

This is why manufacturers only guarantee compatibility in the form sold (from the same pack). Making sure that they are the same model, or timings, or latency, is just a way of trying to minimise the risk, not eliminate it.

I'm not saying it never works, it's just a gamble, and the last thing you'd want to do, is spend a lot of money, to find out they don't work well together. This is also why modules in the same pack are slightly more expensive. The same logic applies for upgrading your current RAM.

2400mhz and the other from Ripjaws are at 3200
They can run in flex mode, but the 3200 will likely downclock to 2400.

So no one can answer if they will work, because even if someone had exactly the same models running in a near identical system, in reality, nothing is identical, every system and module is different - even if only slightly.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeyondUtopia
Solution
Sep 28, 2020

I'm not saying it never works, it's just a gamble, and the last thing you'd want to do, is spend a lot of money, to find out they don't work well together. This is also why modules in the same pack are slightly more expensive. The same logic applies for upgrading your current RAM.

They can run in flex mode, but the 3200 will likely downclock to 2400.

So no one can answer if they will work, because even if someone had exactly the same models running in a near identical system, in reality, nothing is identical, every system and module is different - even only slightly.
I see. Thank you for your fast reply, I appreciate it!