RAM Getting full after sleep mode

Cyrax Nguyen

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
I've been using Windows 8.1 for a while and just recently upgraded to WIndows 10. There something I noticed in both version. I'm using a laptop so it's natural for me to close it whenever I'm done or going to sleep. However after days or two, whenever I wake up the ram is full. Literally even if I closes every application it still occupy 3gb or my ram, unless I restart my laptop it would stay there for ever, annoying.

Any help? :/

ShakedG

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014
It's called memory leakage, and I believe Linus from LinusTechTips did a tech-quickie on this if you want to learn more. There is only one thing to do: try and see if it is a specific application that is taking up your ram, then you can maybe uninstall and reinstall it. But if the problem is with the OS or the memory itself, then you are basically screwed. I have the same issue right now so I know how annoying it is. Only solution is basically to restart the computer.

Lyniaer

Nov 2, 2010
Open a command prompt and type without the brackets [tasklist /fi "memusage gt 500000"] and then tell me what process has the highest Mem Usage.
I'm gonna bet it's hiberfil.sys

Cyrax Nguyen

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014

Nope, none of them are found. If I remove one zero I'll get "SearchUI" and "explorer" but both of them take like 100-120MB. btw right now my laptop is at 36%( 6GB ram max)

Lyniaer

Nov 2, 2010
2 Gigs of RAM at idle isn't all that bad. I'm at %45 out of 8Gigs and I have nothing but Chrome, Firefox and Outlook running along with a variety of background processes.
You'll need to run that task list the next time you shut the lid and walk away from the computer for a day.
That's the only way you'll find the task that's eating up your memory.

ShakedG

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014
I'm not sure if you solved this or not, but I recently upgraded to Windows 10, and now my RAM behaves completely normal. And seeing as how I had a similar issue, I think maybe a refresh (if you have Windows 8.1) or installing Windows 10 can help a lot.