RAM getting used up for no good reason !!!

g-force

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
Hello,
For the past two days I've been having this weird problem. My Physical Memory is getting used up completely. And interestingly this happens mostly when I am streaming videos online. Even if I close the browser there is no or very little change in the memory used. I use Google Chrome. My PC specs are as follows::

Intel Pentium D 925
Memory: (1 GB kingston) x 2 DDR2 Dual channel

Mobo:: Intel D945GCCR

I cannot remember the exact changes that I might have made in the past couple of days. I think the flash player might have upgraded itself.

Thanks in advance !! I hope I've provided enough details.

1. Don't use chrome, use firefox instead. Chrome does not remain stable on many XP computers. Delete chrome using the instructions in #2 below.
2. click start, control panel, add remove programs, look at the list of programs. Most people can delete at least 10 programs, with no effect what so ever. Typically 30% of the programs installed are never used. These include junk programs like AOL, Mcafee, toolbars, duplicate media players like Quick time player, that are pre-installed at the factory, or downloaded from the internet.
3. If you downloaded free security programs, or multiple security programs, delete them and use a professional all in one antivirus.
4. update and scan entire computer with ONE professional anti virus program.
5. DUMP free downloads, which promise to fix, clean, or speed up your computer.
6. Empty the cookies folder, and temporary files folder.
7. If you do not understand which programs can be deleted, post the list of programs here. The forum can help you decide which programs to delete.
Typically, doing the above will free up a great deal of RAM and processor space.

g-force

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010

Thanks for your quick reply !

I've been using chrome for quite some time now and never had any major issues with it. I have the best anti-virus locally available and so far I haven't had a serious virus problem. I use Tuneup utilities and it deletes programs that have not been used for a long time. I've also checked under the processes' tab in task manager and no program is using abnormal amounts of memory. Do you think there might be an issue with the latest flashplayer update? I make use of Firefox and opera a lot too but they are very heavy and take a lot of time for starting, precisely the reason why i use Chrome.

As for any 'free security programs ', I stay away from them.

Before I start streaming videos i always have like 80 % of free RAM. So I've never had this problem before. I really don't want to stop using Chrome and would really appreciate if you suggest any alternate solution.

g-force

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
I think you misunderstood me !! I have firefox, opera, chrome but i don't use them all at the same time ! I use chrome only. And if i have to use any other browser i close the current one. Sorry if I was not clear earlier.

g-force

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
Seriously ?!? Because when I checked in the processes tab they were not there.
There are total 48 processes running and only 10 under the "Administrator". They are the anti virus, firewall, tuneup etc.

the more programs you load, the more memory will be used, and until you clear out all of the excess and unnecessary programs (like 3 browsers) your RAM will be overloaded.
Just because you can load 3 browsers into a computer, does not mean the computer will run them all efficiently.
The 945 board is obsolete already. It simply will not handle all of the processes you are trying to run. Cut the number of processes down to the absolute minimum, in order to allow he system to function properly.

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
start run type msconfig. Then choose a diagnostic start up. You can then open anything you really need/want running all the time.

You might be surprised what all starts up when you log in and how much of it is unneccessary. You really need to tuneup program running all the time? No, run it when you want to do a scan or something. If you have a separate anti-virus and firewall program you may consider consolidation also.

I have seen video streams eat up tons of RAM, when Netflix was playing around with changes, I'd start a movie, and watch RAM go up to 1gig + usage just in I.E.

Try using one of the other browsers to stream and watch the RAM usage.

I don't agree with soundguruman at all about installed programs using RAM, unless you are running them they don't use any RAM. Browsers don't load any resident programs that load at startup, so 0 memory footprint until you start it.

g-force

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
Thanks hang-the-9 for your reply.

I've tried using Firefox and the computer reboots while watching the videos. However, the problem has been solved i think because I've watched quite a few videos both on Chrome and firefox and I've been quite lucky.

Even I have a hard time agreeing with soundguruman (Absolutely no offence meant soundguruman). Because I've been using firefox, chrome, opera, I.E. on this same PC for more than a year and this is the first time that I am having any RAM related problem. Now you may say that I've been lucky so far, but I have the same setup on my laptop and no problems there too.

So I guess i'll have to wait and watch if it creeps up again.

Cheers !