RAM getting warm in slot but not detecting

spartan86

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016
hello community,

this is my 1st post here.

i have an old asus p5nd motherboard and 4 sticks of 2gb ram. the issue is if i put ram in any of the 1st 2 slots (a1, a2), pc wont boot, but ram sticks get warm in those slots. b1,b2 slots work fine.

what could be the problem?

Solution
getting warmed up may be also from overall system temperature, maybe they don't receive power.Or maybe they receive power and don't transfer data through the north bridge. You will have to remain with 2 slots.

jaurl1

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016
Define not boot do they warm up while the pc is sitting turned off
Or are you leaving it on & they are warming up

It sounds like you just need to install it properly

spartan86

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016
4 slots are colored in this manner : yellow black yellow black

in 1st 2 slots ram in not working
in last 2 slots ram is working

if i put ram in only any of last 2 slots pc boots, if i put ram in any of the 1st 2 slots pc wont boot but ram sticks warm up a bit.
so i think ram slots are getting power but ram is not being detected.

edit: they get warm if i leave the pc on. but pc doesnt boot when this is happening.

spartan86

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016
i used this mb long time ago .. i dont remember whether they were working before or not .. i do have 3 1gb sticks lying around before i bought 4 2gb sticks so i think the slots were working fine.

what kind of issues can cause only 2 out of 4 ram slots to not work?

spartan86

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016
i didnt check ram compatiblity but they are working fine in last 2 slots

these are the combinations i tried .. caps denote presence of ram.

Ybyb - no boot
YByb - no boot
YBYb - no boot
YBYB - no boot
yBYB - no boot
ybYB - booting
ybyB - booting
ybYb - booting
YbYb - no boot
yByB - no boot

and many others that didnt work but im confused already

only in 3 combinations pc boots

spartan86

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016
im not sure about which 3 slots but here are the details of previous ram dynet ddr2 667 64Mx16

asus p5nd
e5440
750ti
age old samsung 40gb ide drive

ill be happy to provide any other details

and rams are 100% working .. i have another pc i tried them on

slyverine

Reputable
Mar 4, 2016
Check this site , it's the asus support, check for supported memory. https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5ND/HelpDesk_QVL/
If it's not listed it's most propably compatibility issues with your motherboard, you should check for compatible memories before you buy them, not all RAM work on every motherboard!

Zkye

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2014

They are testing only the most common brands. And his ram sticks work in some combinations.

are these 1gb sticks still working on the first 2 slots???

slyverine

Reputable
Mar 4, 2016
getting warmed up may be also from overall system temperature, maybe they don't receive power.Or maybe they receive power and don't transfer data through the north bridge. You will have to remain with 2 slots.

Solution

i second that...
it cud be any number of reason, its getting warm...

spartan86

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016
can it not be repaired? this board has seem to have northbridge heating issues .. even if i keep it on for 1 min , both northbridge and southbridge heat up to abnormal temperatures that cannot be touched by hand. will replacing heatsink on both make any difference?