Question RAM has unusually low frequency and CPU usage is high

Timahawk627

Reputable
Apr 7, 2016
Yesterday when I booted up my PC, windows was running really slow. When I open up any program, CPU usage goes to almost 100%. I also discovered that my RAM frequency is only 1067MHz in Windows vs the 3000 it runs at normally. I have disabled XMP to see if that would help and nothing changed. I have checked all over and can't find a solution to this issue. This install of Windows is only a couple weeks old as well.

hopsteriam

Reputable
Mar 12, 2018
Not much hardware info so here goes...New install of a few weeks old huh.
Did you install a virus scanner? Virus can do some <mod edit> things to a bios and a system.
Have you run memtest?
Seeing the CPU is at 100% usage did you open resource monitor to see what is running? What is taking so much CPU usage?

IF this is a new system or you fiddled with the cpu, it could also be cheap thermal past has failed. I recently put a Xeon in an old Socket 775 MB and used the thermal past they sent with the Xeon, SILLY ME! Temps were in the 60's to low 70's when idle within days and slowly climbing, so I replaced it with the good stuff and now in the 40's to 50's. I need a better cooler than the stock core 2 duo cooler I know but at least the new good quality paste made a difference of around 20 degrees. Your cooler should be fine but if the builder used cheap paste that could be a factor along with a virus.

Without more hardware info it is hard to say what else it could be. Check ram compatibility on the Motherboard page but as it did run for a few weeks (Assuming new system?) I doubt that is it. Is all the ram still showing up? Could be a couple of things contributing to this. Failed ram maybe? It happens.

Hopefully someone with more experience can help but I would check those things I mentioned.
Unsure if you have a new system or just a new Windoze install makes it hard to work out what is going on.
More details of whether a newish system or just new Winblows install and your hardware specs in your next comment please. Ram brand, certified speed, timings, Cpu and Motherboard etc. Are you overclocking? and if so to what? Have you done any Hard drive checks? Is it an SSD or HDD or both?

Last edited by a moderator:

Timahawk627

Reputable
Apr 7, 2016
Not much hardware info so here goes...New install of a few weeks old huh.
Did you install a virus scanner? Virus can do some shitty things to a bios and a system.

Seeing the CPU is at 100% usage did you open resource monitor to see what is running? What is taking so much CPU usage?

IF this is a new system or you fiddled with the cpu, it could also be cheap thermal past has failed. I recently put a Xeon in an old Socket 775 MB and used the thermal past they sent with the Xeon, SILLY ME! Temps were in the 60's to low 70's when idle within days and slowly climbing, so I replaced it with the good stuff and now in the 40's to 50's. I need a better cooler than the stock E8400 cooler I know but at least the new good quality paste made a difference of around 20%. Your cooler should be fine but if the builder used cheap paste that could be a factor along with a virus.

Without more hardware info it is hard to say what else it could be. Check ram compatibility on the Motherboard page but as it did run for a few weeks I doubt that is it. Is all the ram still showing up? Could be a couple of things contributing to this. Failed ram maybe? It happens.

Hopefully someone with more experience can help but I would check those things I mentioned.
Unsure if you have a new system or just a new Windoze install makes it hard to work out what is going on.
More details of whether a newish system or just new Winblows install and your hardware specs in your next comment please. Ram brand, certified speed, timings, Cpu and Motherboard etc. Are you overclocking? and if so to what? Have you done any Hard drive checks? Is is an SSD or HDD?
The system isn't new I just reinstalled windows on a new SSD.
My hardware is
Mobo: MSI B350 Tomahawk
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ stock speeds
RAM: Corsair Vengence 2x8GB @ 3000MHz
GPU: GTX 1080
Boot SSD: WD M.2 1TB
The CPU only jumping in usage when a new program is opened. No background tasks are taxing it. The temps are still about 40 C except when it jumps in usage. I have scanned for both viruses and malware only to find nothing. I do know that before it was doing this, I was getting a BSOD every time I tried to wake up windows from sleep.