alex3003

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Im a 3d artist that uses Mental Ray rendering system. its famous for its high RAM usage. I recently upgraded my system with [ Kingston HyperX Blu Red Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 KHX16C10B1RK2/16 ] RAM modules; and im going for very long render times. (abt 70hrs). What I need to know is the safe temperature ranges for the above RAM modules and a good tool that i can monitor (FREE- better :D) temperature of all my important components including RAM.

Solution
To be honest I havn't heard of ram overheating and I think it's unusual for it to do so. If your case has good air flow the heat spreaders should work with the cases air flow to dissapate the heat.
As for a safe operating temp that won't shorten the life of the ram, as heat will do, a temp of 75c or less woul be acceptable. Some will say 85c but that's kind of high and if your at that temp for a consistant amount of time then you will shorten the life of the ram. All you would need is to get a case fan to blow on to the ram and it will never get that high.
There aren a lot of programs that monitor the temps of the cpu and the video cards but there aren't a lot that will do the ram. There are motherboards , mostly Asus that I know will come with a coule of sensor cables that plug into the motherboard and will monitor the temps of what it is attached to.
There are also fan controllers that will come with the same sensor leads and connect to the fan controller and there will be a corresponding fan that can be activated to cool the component.
I just don't know of any free temp software that will monitor the ram temps.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835116021

I would get something like this and the ram won't need to be monitored as it won't heat up enough to be a problem with this fan mounted on it. I have used similar ones and they are pretty quiet.

alex3003

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009

thanks a lot. what is the safe temperature for my RAM modules?

To be honest I havn't heard of ram overheating and I think it's unusual for it to do so. If your case has good air flow the heat spreaders should work with the cases air flow to dissapate the heat.
As for a safe operating temp that won't shorten the life of the ram, as heat will do, a temp of 75c or less woul be acceptable. Some will say 85c but that's kind of high and if your at that temp for a consistant amount of time then you will shorten the life of the ram. All you would need is to get a case fan to blow on to the ram and it will never get that high.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS