RAM heat spreaders

RedPringles

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
Hey guys

At the final stages of preparing my first ever gaming rig/ build, but can anyone tell me why I should get the vengeance low profile over the normal models? Bear in mind the CPU cooler will be a CM hyper 212 evo and I intend to overclock the CPU, I don't fully understand the need for headspreaders, can anyone help.

FYI these are the build specs

CPU: i5 3750k
MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V PRO LGA1155 WiFi ATX
Memory: Corsair Vngeance low profile 8gb
HDD1: Corsair force 3 GT 240gb
HDD2: WD Caviar 1TB
PSU: Corsair 850W
GPU: Radeon 7970

Any comments/ observations on ths setup?

Cheers

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Heat spreaders are not needed unless you are overclocking the memory by a lot. 99% of users are better off just getting a case fan. That said, I bought a GSKILL set with blue heat spreaders because they looked cool :)

You could get away with less PSU if you wanted to. What case are you fitting it in?

RedPringles

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012

My choice of case is the Corsair graphite series 600t special edition, I chose it because it looks like a good ll rounder and hs plenty of good reviews, bit pricey though :p , I was thinking the same abou the psu, maybe go down to 750W? Is that enough power?

For the vast majority of users, they are more for a "look cool" effect than anything. From my experience, if you tweak your memory too far, the resulting problems are instantaneous, and heat spreaders don't seem to be of much help.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

Corsair looks like a good case to me. No reason to cheap out on that - it will last!

No single card build should actually need more than 450-500w. That said, I think 600-650w is a good range - you will get better efficiency/cooling with it running at half load. 750w would be enough for possible crossfire. 850w would be a good safety margin for 2 cards and serious overclocking of everything.

I also personally think that efficiency matters a lot. I can feel the temperature difference between cases with 80+ and gold certified PSUs inside.

The Corsair PSU you suggested is a good model, also strong contenders for high quality PSUs are Seasonic (my favorite), Antec, XFX, Enermax, PCPower+Cooling, and some others. There are a lot of rebates and sales on PSUs that should probably affect your decision depending on the time of purchase.