RAM i can use with Intel DX48BT2

falconzfan007

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
I have an Intel DX48BT2 mobo, and i was wondering what type of RAM i could use in it. It only has 4 SLots for the memory so is triple channel out? I already have 2 x 1GB sticks of DDR3 in it now, and i want to upgrade to 6GB. So can i just buy 2 x 2GB sticks and put those in? do they have to be the same company? Thanks.

festerovic

Distinguished
No triple channel, sorry.

You can just add whatever RAM to it, they don't have to be the same brand, but they should be the same speed and timings, or you may have issues.

Not to assume any noobishness, but I want to ask: you have a 64 bit OS right?

falconzfan007

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008

Haha thanks, and yeah im planning on upgrading to 64-bit Vista. So i could add 2 x 2GB sticks to my primary slots, and then just move my 2x 1GB sticks to my secondary slots as long as the new ones are also 1333 Mhz? Thats awesome! But how do i make sure that the timings are the same?

festerovic

Distinguished
To determine what the specs are, so that you can find matching sticks, use CPU-Z ID, and look at the memory section. It will show you the SPD ratings, which are the "compatible" speeds. It will also show you what it is currently using.

Try and get the same timings if possible, so that if you use AUTO settings in BIOS, it will probably work. If they are different timings, then you have to manually adjust in BIOS to the RAM with the slower timings.