[SOLVED] RAM idling between 30 and 40% usage

May 9, 2021
Hi,
Today I noticed that my laptop has started to use a lot more resources while it is idle. My RAM specifically. It has started to idle at around 30 - 40% RAM usage with no background programs running. I have 16GB of total available RAM and normally it would idle at around 10 - 15%.

I have tried a bunch of stuff to see if I could lower the usage but nothing seemed to work, unfortunately.
I have also checked the task manager to see if there are any apps that were using a lot of RAM but that was not the case.

I, unfortunately, cannot upload some images, since the website won't allow me.

I would like to thank everyone in advance for your help!

Last edited:
Solution
Windows will keep unused code in ram in anticipation of instant reuse if needed.
This is good and normal.
Some apps like google chrome can be real ram hogs.
Do not worry too much.
Windows manages ram and always has some available for when you need it.
A true shortage of ram will show up in task manager ram hard fault page rate.
Anything much more than zero will suggest a ram shortage.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Resource Monitor.

Laptop drive(s): Make, model, capacity, how full?

Process Explorer could help.

You may need to download the latter from Microsoft's website.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Try to discover if something is getting launched during startup or sometime afterwords via Task Scheduler.

Do not disable or delete anything without fully knowing what it is and what it does.

Back up your laptop at least 2 x and ensure that all backups are recoverable and readable. And on another device or storage location.

May 9, 2021
Look in Resource Monitor.

Laptop drive(s): Make, model, capacity, how full?

Process Explorer could help.

You may need to download the latter from Microsoft's website.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Try to discover if something is getting launched during startup or sometime afterwards via Task Scheduler.

Do not disable or delete anything without fully knowing what it is and what it does.

Back up your laptop at least 2 x and ensure that all backups are recoverable and readable. And on another device or storage location.

I installed Process Explorer and it tells me that I only have 7,8GB of Physical Memory.
Could this mean that there is something physically wrong with one of the RAM sticks?

Edit: That turned out to show the amount of ram used, so nothing to do with the actual ram sticks.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
What is using or holding on to the RAM space in question?

Check RAM early before running apps etc..

Then run apps and see how much RAM they use. Could be that some app is not releasing RAM when the app is closed.

In Resource Monitor (run as Admin) use the Memory tab to look at how memory is being used and what is using it.

The far left column shows the Processes that are running: Some are clearly identifiable, others not so much....

At the top of the Working Set column is a small arrow that can be clicked to sort the data. Arrange in descending order.

Key is to discover, if possible, what is holding RAM. Something that is about one-half the total amount of RAM being used.

(Basis that RAM "consumption" has roughly doubled from 15% to 30%.)

Things you can do:

Run the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Try "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/ho...-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

Clearing out/cleaning out some bit of file corruption could end the problem.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Disk drives: Make, model, capacity, how full?

For the most part those are just general almost more maintenance like actions than fixes.

May or may not recover the memory that is being held by something - i.e., we really do not know what the problem is but allowing windows to clean up things somewhat may prove successful.

Reactions: dotas1
Windows will keep unused code in ram in anticipation of instant reuse if needed.
This is good and normal.
Some apps like google chrome can be real ram hogs.
Do not worry too much.
Windows manages ram and always has some available for when you need it.
A true shortage of ram will show up in task manager ram hard fault page rate.
Anything much more than zero will suggest a ram shortage.

Solution