Ram in 32 bit Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed-B

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Hello All:
Does anybody know if 32 bit Vista supports 4GB of ram or is it the same as 32 bit XP that only uses 3.2 GB?
Thanks Ed

Solution
It has the same limitations as XP does, due to the whole remapping of PCI address space. For me, I only had access to 2.9GB in Vista32.

I ended up biting the bullet this weekend and moved up to Vista x64. Went very smooth; no compatibility problems with anything (yet?). 64 bit LAME encoder runs 40% faster! Nice to have 4GB finally. I was suffering for a while under XP with just two 2GB of RAM. While building a new machine last month with 4GB, that's when I learned about the whole 4GB 'issue' under XPPro and Vista32.

Nonymous

Distinguished
May 27, 2004
It has the same limitations as XP does, due to the whole remapping of PCI address space. For me, I only had access to 2.9GB in Vista32.

I ended up biting the bullet this weekend and moved up to Vista x64. Went very smooth; no compatibility problems with anything (yet?). 64 bit LAME encoder runs 40% faster! Nice to have 4GB finally. I was suffering for a while under XP with just two 2GB of RAM. While building a new machine last month with 4GB, that's when I learned about the whole 4GB 'issue' under XPPro and Vista32.

Solution

I installed Vista 64 on a new build with 4 gigs of Crucial Ballistix PC2-8000 memory and a QX6700, and noted DVDShrink's MPEG2 recoder would do a shrink to 60% original size, using all 4 cores about equally according to performance monitor, in about 1/5th the time required on my old P4 2.56Ghz system with 512MB. However I eventually had to go back to XP 32-bit because Vista would lock up the system several times a day. So now XP Media Center reports my 4 gigs as 2.75 gigs :cry:

I'm going to reinstall Vista in another partition and dual-boot, meanwhile hoping MS and eVGA and Creative release patches and certified drivers so that maybe I can dump XP for once and for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.