[SOLVED] Ram in slots 2 and 4 and yet dual channel not working?

Jan 10, 2021
Hello I have recently built a new PC and everything works fine other then the RAM not being in dual channel mode even though they are in slots 2 and 4. The reason I know this is because on CPU-Z it is blank when it comes to DC mode. Anyone got any ideas?

Solution
The latest bios update says improved memory compability. Should I install that? I'll try and swap the ram sticks around when i get home later and see if that fixes it. Yes it's the stock intel cpu cooler as I researched and it said it was more then enough for the CPU although it was a bit loud. If all these fail i'll examine the pins and take a picture and send it here.
Sounds like a possible bios fix, I would install it.
Just read the instructions and be patient.
It may take 10 minutes to finish with nothing apparent going on.
Don't get antsy anc stop the process prematurely.

I doubt that the stock cooler could cause any bending.
In case you want to remount, here is my stock copy on how to mount a stock cooler...

DSzymborski

Titan
Yes they are identical and they worked before I switched to my new PC. I haven't updated it but HWINFO reports it as running in dual channel whereas CPU-Z still doesn't.

For a second time, is this a kit of RAM that was sold together? There's no such thing as identical RAM sticks, just identical branding as a result of testing during the binning process.

DSzymborski

Titan
The first stick came as part of a pre-built and so i ordered the exact same ram stick on amazon after i got the pre-built.

So then, no, it's not a matched set, and as a result, it can be fiddly in different motherboards or configurations. While the same brand with the same config will probably work, it's not definite. And again, it's not an exact same RAM stick, it's exact same branding. RAM is binned, there's no factory pumping out X RAM at Y speed. It's a bit more complex than this, but RAM's branding is something given to it during testing, based on how defective the RAM is relative to other RAM sticks. And from two different sources at two different times, there's a high chance that they weren't even made by the same company, lowering the chances they'll work together.

Jan 10, 2021
So then, no, it's not a matched set, and as a result, it can be fiddly in different motherboards or configurations. While the same brand with the same config will probably work, it's not definite. And again, it's not an exact same RAM stick, it's exact same branding. RAM is binned, there's no factory pumping out X RAM at Y speed. It's a bit more complex than this, but RAM's branding is something given to it during testing, based on how defective the RAM is relative to other RAM sticks. And from two different sources at two different times, there's a high chance that they weren't even made by the same company, lowering the chances they'll work together.
Damn what should I do to fix it? Should I order new ram? I have 4 slots and I can go 3200 MHZ maximum for each stick. My current ram is 2400MHZ would this be a noticable upgrade?

You do not have matched ram.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
This may or may not be the issue.

What cpu and motherboard are we talking about?
Ryzen systems are very picky about ram.
If you have an Intel cpu, a bent socket pin can cause dual channel to not function.

Jan 10, 2021
You do not have matched ram.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
This may or may not be the issue.

What cpu and motherboard are we talking about?
Ryzen systems are very picky about ram.
If you have an Intel cpu, a bent socket pin can cause dual channel to not function.
I have a I5 12400F and a pro B660M-A DDR4 motherboard. I was very delicate when putting the CPU in the socket although the fan was a pain putting in could the fan maybe cause the pins to be bent if pushed down too much?

Is there a bios update available for your motherboard that addresses ram compatibility?
Flash only if there is a likely fix, do not flash on speculation.
You do not want to complicate things with a failed flash.

I assume slots 2/4 are what your motherboard recommends.
You could try 1/3.

When you say fan, I think you mean cpu cooler.
Are you using the stock Intel cooler, or something else?
A cooler without good pressure control could possibly bend the chip, but this is more likely with lga1700 processors.

Was your old processor compatible to try a replacement?
Possibly, the motherboard is defective.
Despite being very careful with the drop in, you might want to double check for a bent pin.
That is a common symptom and easy t cause.
The socket is designed for only up to 15 insertions.

Jan 10, 2021
Is there a bios update available for your motherboard that addresses ram compatibility?
Flash only if there is a likely fix, do not flash on speculation.
You do not want to complicate things with a failed flash.

I assume slots 2/4 are what your motherboard recommends.
You could try 1/3.

When you say fan, I think you mean cpu cooler.
Are you using the stock Intel cooler, or something else?
A cooler without good pressure control could possibly bend the chip, but this is more likely with lga1700 processors.

Was your old processor compatible to try a replacement?
Possibly, the motherboard is defective.
Despite being very careful with the drop in, you might want to double check for a bent pin.
That is a common symptom and easy t cause.
The socket is designed for only up to 15 insertions.
The latest bios update says improved memory compability. Should I install that? I'll try and swap the ram sticks around when i get home later and see if that fixes it. Yes it's the stock intel cpu cooler as I researched and it said it was more then enough for the CPU although it was a bit loud. If all these fail i'll examine the pins and take a picture and send it here.

In case you want to remount, here is my stock copy on how to mount a stock cooler.
----------------how to mount the stock Intel cooler--------------

The stock Intel cooler can be tricky to install.
A poor installation will result in higher cpu temperatures.
If properly mounted, you should expect temperatures at idle to be 10-15c. over ambient.

To mount the Intel stock cooler properly, place the motherboard on top of the foam or cardboard backing that was packed with the motherboard.
The stock cooler will come with paste pre applied, it looks like three grey strips.
The 4 push pins should come in the proper position for installation, that is with the pins rotated in the opposite direction of the arrow,(clockwise)
and pulled up as far as they can go.
Take the time to play with the pushpin mechanism until you know how they work.
Orient the 4 pins so that they are exactly over the motherboard holes.
If one is out of place, you will damage the pins which are delicate.
Push down on a DIAGONAL pair of pins at the same time. Then the other pair.
When you push down on the top black pins, it expands the white plastic pins to fix the cooler in place.
If you do them one at a time, you will not get the cooler on straight.
Lastly, look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are equally through the motherboard, and that the cooler is on firmly.
This last step must be done, which is why the motherboard should be out of the case to do the job. Or you need a case with a opening that lets you see the pins.
It is possible to mount the cooler with the motherboard mounted in the case, but you can then never be certain that the push pins are inserted properly
unless you can verify that the pins are through the motherboard and locked.

If you should need to remove the cooler, first run the cpu to heat it up and soften the paste before shutting down and powering off the pc. That makes it easy to unstick the old cooler.
Turn the pins counter clockwise to unlock them.
You will need to clean off the old paste and reapply new if you ever take the cooler off.
Clean off old paste with alcohol and a lint free paper like a coffee filter.
Apply new paste sparingly. A small rice sized drop in the center will spread our under heat and pressure.

It is hard to use too little.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Solution
Jan 10, 2021

In case you want to remount, here is my stock copy on how to mount a stock cooler.
----------------how to mount the stock Intel cooler--------------

The stock Intel cooler can be tricky to install.
A poor installation will result in higher cpu temperatures.
If properly mounted, you should expect temperatures at idle to be 10-15c. over ambient.

To mount the Intel stock cooler properly, place the motherboard on top of the foam or cardboard backing that was packed with the motherboard.
The stock cooler will come with paste pre applied, it looks like three grey strips.
The 4 push pins should come in the proper position for installation, that is with the pins rotated in the opposite direction of the arrow,(clockwise)
and pulled up as far as they can go.
Take the time to play with the pushpin mechanism until you know how they work.
Orient the 4 pins so that they are exactly over the motherboard holes.
If one is out of place, you will damage the pins which are delicate.
Push down on a DIAGONAL pair of pins at the same time. Then the other pair.
When you push down on the top black pins, it expands the white plastic pins to fix the cooler in place.
If you do them one at a time, you will not get the cooler on straight.
Lastly, look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are equally through the motherboard, and that the cooler is on firmly.
This last step must be done, which is why the motherboard should be out of the case to do the job. Or you need a case with a opening that lets you see the pins.
It is possible to mount the cooler with the motherboard mounted in the case, but you can then never be certain that the push pins are inserted properly
unless you can verify that the pins are through the motherboard and locked.

If you should need to remove the cooler, first run the cpu to heat it up and soften the paste before shutting down and powering off the pc. That makes it easy to unstick the old cooler.
Turn the pins counter clockwise to unlock them.
You will need to clean off the old paste and reapply new if you ever take the cooler off.
Clean off old paste with alcohol and a lint free paper like a coffee filter.
Apply new paste sparingly. A small rice sized drop in the center will spread our under heat and pressure.

It is hard to use too little.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apologies for the late reply but i reseated the ram and installed the latest bios and now CPU-Z is reporting them as running in dual channel mode. Thanks for the response.