[SOLVED] Ram instability, Help!

XRedKiller

Prominent
Sep 6, 2019
so 2-3 months ago I upgraded my pc and got a B550 aorus elite v2 with an r7 5800x and G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16gb DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800), and ive discovered that putting the ram in slots 1-3 and 2-3 causes system reboot on startup and after 2-3 times it boots but without the XMP profile, I'm currently using slots 2-4 and it runs normally with the XMP profile, but I have a lot of issues while using the pc like firefox tabs randomly crashing or the whole application, the random game crashes and errors during installing games, and the most annoying that the pc blue screens and reboots randomly once in a while.
any help on what's wrong here and if I can fix it please?

Solution
Ryzen is closely tied to ram.
Install your ram in the slots recommended by your motherboard manual.
The manual should have a diagram identifying A2 and B2 slots which are the usual recommended pair.
See that your motherboard bios is current.
Most bios updates will deal with stability and ram compatibility.

Is you ram all from the same matched kit, or did you buy two sticks of the same part number.
Ram must be matched to perform properly.

Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an...

Lutfij

Titan
When you say slots 1-3 or 2-3, which side are you starting from? Yes you can start from right or left but there's a reason why the ram slots are labelled and there's always a pattern where people are suggested to run the two slots to the left most of the motherboard/CPU socket. It's been this way since RyZen 1000 came to be.

Ideally(for any board)the slots are labelled as A2 and B2.

What BIOS version are you working with at the moment?

Ryzen is closely tied to ram.
Install your ram in the slots recommended by your motherboard manual.
The manual should have a diagram identifying A2 and B2 slots which are the usual recommended pair.
See that your motherboard bios is current.
Most bios updates will deal with stability and ram compatibility.

Is you ram all from the same matched kit, or did you buy two sticks of the same part number.
Ram must be matched to perform properly.

Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

DDR4 ram faster than 2666 is technically overclocked ram.
To run at 3600 speed you need to implement the ryzen equivalent of XMP.
XMP ram has the speed and settings embedded in the ram itself and implementing xmp extracts that info and applies the settings to the motherboard ram configuration.
If settings do not work, a motherboard will find a setting closer to default that works and will restart.

Solution