RAM installation problem?

Sep 4, 2018
Hi Guys, I've been lurking around this forum for a little while now but this is my first post.

I bought a pc off a friend fairly recently. I5 6400k with 8gb DDR4 RAM. There are 2 slots in the MOBO so i thought upgrading to 16GB would do me a world of good. Just bought another 8gb stick (identical to the one I currently have.
However when installing it the CPU and DRAM lights on the mobo debug flash.
I have tested my current stick of RAM in both ports and it works fine in both. Also the new stick does not work if I remove the current one.
Probably a bit obvious here that the RAM stick is the problem. But I'm thinking there could be something that i'm overlooking?
I am fairly certain that my Mobo supports anything up to 32GB of RAM (2x16GB)
I'm about to return the new RAM stick as faulty.Any thoughts or suggestions? I read somewhere that it could be because I haven't fiddled with something in the BIOS?

edit: I have the 100series C230 series chipboard

Solution
Short of resetting the BIOS and trying again, we have to suspect the second stick. It might have been a mis-match (despite same model) of sticks if they didn't work together, but it sounds as if this new stick doesn't care for that mobo.

It could be the whole single / dual channel aspect of adding extra RAM, but a BIOS reset should solve that, or at least draw a line under it. Following the reset, if you have no joy, see if the BIOS allows for a dual channel change.

It might help if you post the exact RAM and mobo models, or check said mobo's QVL for the extra RAM.
Short of resetting the BIOS and trying again, we have to suspect the second stick. It might have been a mis-match (despite same model) of sticks if they didn't work together, but it sounds as if this new stick doesn't care for that mobo.

It could be the whole single / dual channel aspect of adding extra RAM, but a BIOS reset should solve that, or at least draw a line under it. Following the reset, if you have no joy, see if the BIOS allows for a dual channel change.

It might help if you post the exact RAM and mobo models, or check said mobo's QVL for the extra RAM.

Solution